Float switch recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob FishUK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just installed a single Durso Standpipe into my aquarium which has dramatically reduced the noise of any water returning to the sump. I am concerned that the Single Durso Standpipe could become blocked resulting in the display tank flooding.

I am therefore looking to buy a float switch that would shut off the return pump once water reaches a certain level in the display tank. I have looked on the internet and find the products on offer quite confusing (and mostly suited for auto top ups).

Can anyone recommend a float switch which consists of one float switch for the display tank and a devise which I plug my return pump into which will cut power if the water in the display tank reaches a certain level?

Thanks in advance for any help

Do you need to do that? My sump is set up so that if water is not coming into the sump the return area will pump out about 2 gallons of water and then go dry. Shouldn't overflow the main tank if no water is getting to the sump to pump back into the tank. You can look at how my sump is set up in my 75 gallon reef build thread in my signature. It is the way most sumps are set up to avoid what you are talking about.

Last edited:
My Sump is set up in a way that the majority of it would be pumped into the display tank should the standpipe get blocked. I am thinking if raising the return pump so it would run dry if water levels in the sump dropped too much. There must be a simple float switch that can help me out?

Do you use ATO to do your top offs? If not then accomplish both functions witha single piece of equipment. A 2 float system the has a low and a high switch. My top off is pumped from the basement into the sump, but if my DT is too high, the high switch will not let the pump come on.

Back
Top Bottom