Float Valves for RODI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I have a 100gpd ro/di unit, however I dont have it hooked up to a reservoir. I would like to connect it to something around 40 gallons. I would like to make a DIY project out of it to save money. Has anyone done this? If so what did you hook it to and how do you install the float valve. If someone can post pics of there project or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Could I attach that to a storage container? Dont want it in the sump.

This is my RO/DI storage container. The float valve is attached to my RO/DI.
ato2_5-09.jpg

The powerhead in the container is controlled by my ATO unit. When the water level drop, the float switch turns on the powerhead and pumps water into the sump.
ato1_5-09.jpg

Where does that float valve attach to the RODI? Is the top off unit in the pump section of your sump?

This might help. You can see the RO/DI line hanging on the wall on the right. It comes from the kitchen upstairs. It's now attached to the float valve, but I took the pic when I was just setting everything up and didn't have it attached yet. The powerhead in the container is controlled by the float valves that are on the far left side of the sump. (The 20g tank is just new saltwater ready for a water change.)
ato4_5-09.jpg

Yes, that is helpful. I dont think I have the nerves to add a top off system. I would be afraid of it not shutting off. I saw in you build thread that you had a secondary shut off though.

And I am ever glad I got it with the safety shut off switch. I have a ton of little white tube worms with red heads in my sump. 1 decided to plant itself on the shaft inside the lower float switch. It grew to the point where the float couldn't rise to shut down the powerhead. I went downstairs to the basement 1 day to see this.
ato1_2-10.jpg

ato2_2-10.jpg

Wow! that would have been a disaster. So the emergency switch only works once the water level has raised so far?

Yep. Normally it's out of the water. You can see it in the pic a few posts up. When the bottom 1 was stuck, the water rose till it hit the upper switch and that shut the powerhead down.

Back
Top Bottom