Flow Analysis for 112G Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was hoping to get some feedback on my proposed flow. This is a picture of the tank showing the location of the overflow and outputs (excuse the dust ;)). The outputs are part spray bar and part nozzles.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
The plan for this tank will be a well planted low tech jungle tank with some driftwood and rock hardscape.<br />
<br />
Based on head calculations I expect to have about 300gph of flow through the sump. I'm pretty sure that will not be enough total flow for a 112G tank so I'm also planning on adding two Maxi Jet 1200 powerheads mounted on the left glass pane pointing straight across the tank. One powerhead will most likely be lower and close to the front of the tank to create some circulation in the foreground. The second power head will most likely be in the middle of the left pane. I plan on using the Maxi Jets because they have a foam attachment available and this tank will have shrimp. Each powerhead is rated at 295gph but let's assume 250gph of actual flow with the foam attachments.<br />
<br />
This would give me a total of 700gph of real flow in this tank. I'm looking for input on whether this will most likely be enough for a low tech jungle tank with mostly small fish. Also interested in feedback on the actual flow patterns that this would create.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Harry

The 700 gph might be enough flow.
I would put one power head on the right pane near the front and point it so that it flows from right to left in the front part of the tank. I would put the second on the middle of the left pane as you had planned, however, point it to the spray bar. Doing so might create a clockwise circular flow through the tank.
You might find that removal of the spray bar may help increase flow.

If you can, run the setup with some sort of marker. I'm not sure what you can get. I accidentally did so on mine and noticed the flow was really only 2 feet out before circling back to the intake.

Which explained why I only got pearling on one side of tank even though all plants were moving (I assume from secondary flow or reduced flow somehow).

Back
Top Bottom