fluidized bed filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

touchofgrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple of questions concerning a specific fluidized bed filter. I have 2 Red Sea Merlin 120 fluidized bed filters (old-school, I know!) that I'm setting up. These filters are brand-new/old (probably close to 15 years, but never used. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxes for them any more. Does anyone know what size pump is needed to obtain proper fluidization? I have a 700gph pump that came with the tank, but if I can go a bit smaller I'd like to do that. I want to run 1 pump with a "Y" to split flow to the 2 Merlins. I also do not want to run a submersible pump; I'm trying to keep all equipment out of the visible area of the tank- the entire setup will be in the cabinet under the tank, pulling water out of 1 overflow and dumping back into the other overflow (freshwater 180gal setup, overflows on opposite ends of the tank).

I'm also going to be running (2) 125gph canisters with UV; I've been reading about UV and planted tanks- should I not run the UV units?

Thanks in advance for any feedback I get. Merry Christmas!
Kelly

Back
Top Bottom