Fluval 206

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hmmm well I went with a fluval 206 and set it up tonight in place of my ac50 and I have to say its looking like a terrible move! Were my expectations too high!? I'm using xp3 and xp4 on bigger tanks and they move water well. If I put my hand I'm front of this ones output i can't even feel water coming out if its submerged. I have to plight it above surface! It visually looks like its moving water when I look at the tank. Not sure this wil be adequate to filter 36 gallon along with the fluval u4 underwater rate for a 65 gallon that moves way more water if U ask me(says 265 gph). Of course I threw away the box. I filled trays w biostars and bio max from other filter in bottom s Tray then more bio max in middle them in top the included fine pad and then pouch of purigen. Any helpful advice as to what I'm doing wrong or am I just being paranoid?

Hmmm well I went with a fluval 206 and set it up tonight in place of my ac50 and I have to say its looking like a terrible move! Were my expectations too high!? I'm using xp3 and xp4 on bigger tanks and they move water well. If I put my hand I'm front of this ones output i can't even feel water coming out if its submerged. I have to plight it above surface! It visually looks like its moving water when I look at the tank. Not sure this wil be adequate to filter 36 gallon along with the fluval u4 underwater rate for a 65 gallon that moves way more water if U ask me(says 265 gph). Of course I threw away the box. I filled trays w biostars and bio max from other filter in bottom s Tray then more bio max in middle them in top the included fine pad and then pouch of purigen. Any helpful advice as to what I'm doing wrong or am I just being paranoid?

My 306 has really good flow, maybe you have too much media in the compartments? That can sometimes lower the flow quite a bit. Also, maybe you didnt push the white lever down all the way (you most likely did though)

My 306 has really good flow, maybe you have too much media in the compartments? That can sometimes lower the flow quite a bit. Also, maybe you didnt push the white lever down all the way (you most likely did though)

its weird. I had these high hopes and I was shot down! Lol! I guess it could b too much media but I figured the bio foam not being used and using the bio max/stars would help flow. Ill take it apart and try options I guess if I ever get free time

The tank looks pretty clear w the filter combo I have and flow from 206 is ok I guess at best. Surface is moving but still barely can feel when I put hand right in front if nozzle. It's been running 24 hrs and still get occasional air bubble spit. That normal? Also as far as media the only thing I did diff than their stock recommend is to but bio stars in place of bio foam in bottom. Mid is bio max and top is polish pad that came with and instea of pouch of carbon I tossed in 2 small purigen 100ml size pouch

The tank looks pretty clear w the filter combo I have and flow from 206 is ok I guess at best. Surface is moving but still barely can feel when I put hand right in front if nozzle. It's been running 24 hrs and still get occasional air bubble spit. That normal? Also as far as media the only thing I did diff than their stock recommend is to but bio stars in place of bio foam in bottom. Mid is bio max and top is polish pad that came with and instea of pouch of carbon I tossed in 2 small purigen 100ml size pouch

My fluval 205 is great. Ive had it set up on a 25g. I had to place much driftwood in front of the outlet to break up the water. The 206 should work really well. You should really feel the water flow coming out. Check the instructions about how to place the filter and how the hoses should sit. Ie if your hoses are looped or your filter is not low enough it will effect the water output.

My fluval 205 is great. Ive had it set up on a 25g. I had to place much driftwood in front of the outlet to break up the water. The 206 should work really well. You should really feel the water flow coming out. Check the instructions about how to place the filter and how the hoses should sit. Ie if your hoses are looped or your filter is not low enough it will effect the water output.

+1
Hoses should be as straight as possible. Also, if you're *still* getting little spurts of bubbles, check your hosing, there might be a loose spot where air can enter. It's took about 30 minutes for mine to clear out all the bubbles. A day is a really long time.

Thanks guys. I don't get it. The hoses are not to long I don't think. I followed directions step for step and made them 4 inches longer than the top of aquarium.ive set up canisters before just not fluval. Ill break it down Saturday and rebuild it. Can't be the media right?

Thanks guys. I don't get it. The hoses are not to long I don't think. I followed directions step for step and made them 4 inches longer than the top of aquarium.ive set up canisters before just not fluval. Ill break it down Saturday and rebuild it. Can't be the media right?

Hmm... When I first got my fluval, I left the filter floss in for more than a few weeks, not taking it out after the second water change. i didn't notice the flow was down until the water appeared cloudy.

That wasn't right, I did a full water change and when the water was lowered I noticed the flow was barely anything. I pulled apart the filter and took out the filter floss. It looked fined... But when I set everything back up, I emptied all the water from the filter and did a manual prime.
The amount of what I think was filterfloss in the tubing was immense, and it wouldn't stop coming through the outflow. I had a bunch of white stuff floating around my tank for a day, but the flow was back to the way it use to be, coming out like a jet :)

Hmm... When I first got my fluval, I left the filter floss in for more than a few weeks, not taking it out after the second water change. i didn't notice the flow was down until the water appeared cloudy.

That wasn't right, I did a full water change and when the water was lowered I noticed the flow was barely anything. I pulled apart the filter and took out the filter floss. It looked fined... But when I set everything back up, I emptied all the water from the filter and did a manual prime.
The amount of what I think was filterfloss in the tubing was immense, and it wouldn't stop coming through the outflow. I had a bunch of white stuff floating around my tank for a day, but the flow was back to the way it use to be, coming out like a jet :)

Same thing happens when I bust apart my filstars. The initial crap thy comes out is white flaky stuff. Nasty but clears in an hr or so.

As for this 206 maybe the flow is good and my expectations were too high. After all its only rated for a 40 gallon tank. My filstar canisters are for up to 175 and 265 gallons! The tank looks pretty clear and the combo of the 206 and u4 filters seem to be working well! I jumped the gun though and have a cascade 1000 coming too from amazon. I was maybe going to use and replace both current filters. My friends 55 cichlid tank has one by itself and the waters like glass! IfI swap them that would give me the added interior tank space by removing the u4 internal filter! More wasted money and decisions to make! Can u say never satisfied!

It could just be too small for that tank maybe? I have one on my 16g and it flows really well. When my 16 was a saltwater tank I didn't even need to run a circ pump or powerhead in the tank. Maybe there is some sort of issue going on with yours??

I at least figures out why air was coming out. My air stone was too close to intake tube. Moved it and no bubbles. Gonna run the fluval 206 and cascade 1000 canisters together I think. Over filtering and making more tank space by removing fluval u4 in tank filter. Ill use that if I set up 10 gal for any fry I get

with my 406 I had to throddel it down bc the current was to strong, and it says in the instructions not to place intake over Bubbles but then who reads instructions

Well I took apart filter and added the bio foam and removed the bio stars I had in that tray and also removed one of the two purigen packets and now waters crystal clear and flow is better! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom