Fluval 206 for 5 Gallon Tank!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithjfuller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone - I am a new member here. I've used this forum for advice, but never had to ask a question until now.

So, I have a 5 gallon tank with live plants and a few fish and a shrimp. I'd like to get a canister filter on there because the internal one i have kind of stinks (especially to clean) and takes up too much room. I know the Fluval 106 would be great, but I'll be getting another tank soon (30 gallons), and I'd like to be able to transfer this nice canister filter to that at some point. That is why I'm thinking about getting the Fluval 206.

I KNOW that this is overkill for a 5 gallon tank, but my main question is about flow rate. Can I turn the flow rate waaay down on the 206? If so, will it damage the motor? The manual on the 106 says the flow rate can be turned down to zero without it harming the motor, but I didn't get a chance to look at the 206 manual.

Anyone who owns the 206 care to offer any input? Thanks.

-Keith

Personally I'd say put the 206 on the 30 and get the 106 for the 5gal ... especially if your keeping the plants and shrimp in there. Have you considered an AC-20? It has an adjustable flow rate and would work with a shrimp tank, just put a pre-filter sponge on the intake.

Hopefully someone who has or had a 206 and or a 106 can comment.

Personally I'd say put the 206 on the 30 and get the 106 for the 5gal ... especially if your keeping the plants and shrimp in there. Have you considered an AC-20? It has an adjustable flow rate and would work with a shrimp tank, just put a pre-filter sponge on the intake.

Hopefully someone who has or had a 206 and or a 106 can comment.

thanks, but after i get the bigger tank i'd move a lot of the stuff into the larger one and use the 5 gallon for only a couple fish so the internal one could go back in there. also, i just don't have the money to buy both the 106 and 206. i'm really just trying to think long term, so i'm hoping that the 206 would work until i got the larger tank for it.

i'm just hoping that someone with a 206 can tell me how low you can turn down the flow rate.

EDIT: Also, are you referring to the Aqua Clear HOB filter? I can't have a HOB because of the space where the tank is - otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat.

thanks, but after i get the bigger tank i'd move a lot of the stuff into the larger one and use the 5 gallon for only a couple fish so the internal one could go back in there. also, i just don't have the money to buy both the 106 and 206. i'm really just trying to think long term, so i'm hoping that the 206 would work until i got the larger tank for it.

i'm just hoping that someone with a 206 can tell me how low you can turn down the flow rate.

EDIT: Also, are you referring to the Aqua Clear HOB filter? I can't have a HOB because of the space where the tank is - otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Ugh ... That's the worst when external space is a limiting factor. Hopefully a 206 will,work for you.

Okay... I found the thread. All of the 06 series of Fluval canisters have a flow control. But I'm all about the suggestion with the AC 20 on the 5g and get the 206 later when the time comes for the larger tank. I have a 306 on my 26g and it's great. I probably would have been fine with the 206 but the 306 was on a Black Friday deal in which I got it cheaper :)

What lighting are you using on the 5g? With the money you save by getting an AC 20, you can use that difference to buy a sleek LED light such as the Finnex FugeRay.

So here are a few pics to show you what i'm working with (taken on an iPod, but I can bust out the real camera later).

I don't mind using the AC 20 - i hear it's great - but i don't think i have the room. you can see from "photo 2" where the filter would go and "photo 5" shows you how little room i have (just under 2-1/8") to the top - also, this pic rotated for some reason, it should be portrait style.

in terms of the light ("photo 3"), i'm happy with the little LED i have.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 158
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 140
Okay... so you have a LED light already. Cool! Well, the AC 20 measures 6.5" tall and the Fluval C2 is 8". My AC 20 is on the Edge tank at my parent's house so I can't measure the exact height from it sitting on the tank. But it's definitely shorter than the C2 which is about 2 1/4" above the rim of my other tank. So I think you'll be fine with the AC 20 in vertical clearance.

There's also a newer slim HOB filter that I've been seeing around. It's the Marina S20 Power Filter. It looks like it might be another good option. Read the first review on Amazon, they're using it on a 5g. There's also some YouTube reviews... they all say it's quiet. It also comes with a sponge prefilter so your shrimp will be okay from getting sucked up.

Amazon.com: Marina S20 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Review on Marina Slim Power Filter S15 S20 - YouTube

Marina Slim Filter S15 runs - YouTube

Marina Slim Filter S20 noise level. - YouTube

thanks for all the videos and the response. from what i can gather, i think i should get the aqua clear 20 if it fits, but then go with something like the s10 or s15 if it doesn't (hopefully one of those things fit).

i currently have exactly 5 fish (all small) and a shrimp along with the plants. I'd love to max this thing out (1 or 2 more fish) because I think tanks like that look awesome - but I know i'm pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom