fluval 206 media trays???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
i brought one of these off my friend for very cheap.it was leaking slightly so ive ordered a new gasket ring. is that correct?

it has 3 media trays. the bottom one is the sponge. 2nd is bio rings and the 3rd was empty.

whats the best thing to put in here??

any help or advice with this filter would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

maybe some more bio-media or some purigen, then at least an inch of filter floss to polish?
I've set my ehiem up (which flows from bottom to top) with the noodle things at the bottom (you don't have those, so it's not relevant here), coarse foam, about an inch and a half of filter floss (to catch finer stuff, so my bio-media wont get clogged), then bio-media, lastly about an inch of more filter floss to polish.

sorry if im acting dumb.

but is it ok to put bio balls/rings and a sponge in the same tray then??

i have one thick sponge in the bottom. bio rings in the 2nd and nothing in the 3rd. i feel i should put something in there, otherwise it seems to be a waste of a tray. is this order of my filter currently the correct order??

oh! and i have a long red tray with 4 long sponges in it. What is this called?
can i buy replicas because i cant find genuine fluval 206 ones.

The order of media sounds correct... I dont have a fluval, but since that filter also flows from bottom to top, it should be fine.

Putting bio-balls/rings with a sponge in the same tray is ok to do... I just suggested putting filter floss last to help polish the water... so in that 3rd tray you can put more bio-balls/rings, and a sponge on top, if that's what you're talking about.

You should be able to get those foam filter blocks from Amazon/BigAl's/eBay (probably cheapest on eBay)... or you can cut your own.. just make sure the foam has no chemicals added to it

The order of media sounds correct... I dont have a fluval, but since that filter also flows from bottom to top, it should be fine.

Putting bio-balls/rings with a sponge in the same tray is ok to do... I just suggested putting filter floss last to help polish the water... so in that 3rd tray you can put more bio-balls/rings, and a sponge on top, if that's what you're talking about.

You should be able to get those foam filter blocks from Amazon/BigAl's/eBay (probably cheapest on eBay)... or I suppose you can cut your own.. just make sure the foam has no chemicals added to it

thankyou for replying.
how often do i change the rings and balls. i have rings so in the middle. should i put a sponge on top of that and then put balls in the top with a sponge on thats too?

will this slow down water flow having all this sponge?

You shouldn't ever have to change the rings/balls, unless they disintegrate.

And no, I'd just keep the middle tray full of bio-rings/balls. Then in the third, having bio-balls, and a sponge on top (if thats what you want to use) would work.

If I was setting up that filter, I'd have:
1st tray: Foam (like you already have)
2nd tray: Bio-media (like you already have)
3rd tray: more bio-media and filter floss on top of it. (you could also put purigen/other type of chemical filtration/whatever you want.. cept monsters, don't think they'd help)

You shouldn't ever have to change the rings/balls, unless they disintegrate.

And no, I'd just keep the middle tray full of bio-rings/balls. Then in the third, having bio-balls, and a sponge on top (if thats what you want to use) would work.

If I was setting up that filter, I'd have:
1st tray: Foam (like you already have)
2nd tray: Bio-media (like you already have)
3rd tray: more bio-media and filter floss on top of it. (you could also put purigen/other type of chemical filtration/whatever you want.. cept monsters, don't think they'd help)

thankyou for your help.
what is purigen?

media trays.

my kid decided to clean the 206 out a little and somehow lost the top lid for the media tray. now the impeller is acting up. clicking and driving me nuts and wont pump very good. i just making sure this is what is causing the problem. havent located the missing tray lid yet. we had the tank tore down too move it to another house and making sure omehow it didnt get damaged and this is why it is acting up. need advice thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom