Fluval 304 maintenance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone assist with questions about the Fluval 304:

What parts of the filter should be cared for and how often?

Also, what should not be messed with.

I have the manual but it does not make it easy to determine what should be replaced and what is even in my filter. It has been sometime since I set it up - 8+ months and has be doing fine until recently.

Thanks,
Scott

I have several fluvals and one 304. What I clean, sponges rinsed in tank water monthly. Depending on bioload that may need more or less, you will be able to tell. I also rinse in tank water the bio media in the filter to remove any gunk. I clean the intake and output tubes with a brush every few months to remove build up. I clean the impellor monthly. I have never had to do any other kind of maintenance to the filter. HTH.

I have several fluvals and one 304. What I clean, sponges rinsed in tank water monthly. Depending on bioload that may need more or less

Me too.

I clean the intake and output tubes with a brush every few months to remove build up. I clean the impellor monthly. I have never had to do any other kind of maintenance to the filter. HTH.

I agree again.

sdveirs what kind of problem are you having?

Bump.

Thanks for the replies. I have not cleaned this in 10 months, everything still lives except my gouramies :( All my fault I think.

Do I change any media like charcol or any of that?

When you say you rince in tank water, do you mean, after you take it from the tank during water change, or IN the tank itself?? (probably a dumb question)

Thanks!

Activated charcoal is usually worthless after a couple of weeks. However, although it isn't doing any chemical filtration, it served as a nice home for your bacteria colonies. Yes, change the charcoal.

In regard to rinsing in tank water, you did answer your own question. :)

Back
Top Bottom