fluval 306, how often do tubes need to be cleaned normally?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
How often do you have to take and clean the hoses for your canister filters? I have a fluval 306 and I didn't realize I would have to take down all the tubing and clean it out so frequently. What a pain! I miss my HOB filter at this point.

At first I was excited my maintenance was fairly simple. Every week I flip up my aquastop valve, take the filter to the sink, rinse the sponges and biomedia, hook it back up and its good to go. I periodically pull the intake out of the tank and clean around the little ball valve thats supposed to keep from clogging but gets a lot of gunky buildup.

Then I noticed after a couple of months the flow was decreased and when I primed the tank a bunch or brown slimy gunk got blown into the water. The filter filtered it out but my water was cloudy and when I tested I had a spike of nitrItes the next day. I detoxified with prime since id just done a water change and monitored it and everything leveled back out. No fish were harmed. But I also took the tubing down at this point and cleaned them out. There was so much gunk. Brown slimey gunk.

So now basically every two months I have to take EVERYTHING down and flush out all the tubes and it is a huge pain. Is this normal? Are there any better options?

Yeah HOBs are so much easier to maintain. I have to clean my tubes out about the same, every two months or so. The tubes on my canister are straight, so they are a bit easier to clean than fluval tubes, still a pain though. One of the downsides to canisters I suppose.....I use a tool I bought in a plumbing store. It's basically a rigid steel rod, about 4ft long, comes in sections with a fairly stiff bristle brush. Extra extensions can be added to it. It basically looks like a small chimney swipe. Just run it in the tube from each end a few times and that's it. It only takes a few minutes to actually clean the tubes but it's all the hassle of taking down the tubes and re-attaching everything afterwards. Sorry but I don't know of any other options.....

Back
Top Bottom