Fluval 404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyingL0

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Fluval 404 in my 47 gallon tank, I was wondering how often I need to change out the filter media?

Also I am considering getting another 404 for the other side of the tank and use the return as another powerhead and also get more filtration. Is that a good idea.

I would clean it out every two weeks. Deterius gathers quickly in that thing. If you're considering getting another 404, I would recommend you invest on more LR instead. I see you already have 30 lbs... the $100 for a 404 could get a nice chunk of rock.

My reasoning is that canister filters aren't that great for SW setups. They're nice for water flow, but they can gather deterius that can lead to higher nitrates. IMO, one 404 is enough (even not needed, if you have 1.5-2 lbs of LR). Most people just take the guts out of it and add in LR rubble to help filter their water. How about just another PH or two? I had a 404 and liked it... till I read up. I returned it and got a ton of rock instead... best move I ever made :D

I hate the way power heads look in the tank. I have been thinking about mounting it outside and getting some type of head to put in the tank to direct the flow. But I havent seen anything yet. Any ideas?

Yes. I have my outlets barely sticking into the top of the tank. They're connected to a SCWD unit that I installed from my sump. I'm almost certain that there would be a way to hook up your fluval to it.

If you're handy, you can also do a closed loop setup that basically has an intake, a pump, and returns water directly back to your main tank. It's kinda like the 404 itself... there's a place that water gets sucked from, it enters a pump, and gets returned back. Closed loops don't require a sump, and can clean up the look of the tank w/o PH's. Let me see if I can find the link where I posted a pic of my current setup.

I have a 304 on my 46 gallon. I took out all the pads, and I use it for carbon and flow only. I also have two powerheads and I have about 60 lbs of LR for filtration.

One thing to watch out for, occasionally the rubber gasket doesn't seal properly and can leak even with the clamps locked down. It happened to me, about 5 gallons worth. :oops:

After closing it up, make sure it's tight.

RLG2182 said:
Yes. I have my outlets barely sticking into the top of the tank. They're connected to a SCWD unit that I installed from my sump. I'm almost certain that there would be a way to hook up your fluval to it.

If you're handy, you can also do a closed loop setup that basically has an intake, a pump, and returns water directly back to your main tank. It's kinda like the 404 itself... there's a place that water gets sucked from, it enters a pump, and gets returned back. Closed loops don't require a sump, and can clean up the look of the tank w/o PH's. Let me see if I can find the link where I posted a pic of my current setup.

Cool thanks!

Back
Top Bottom