Fluval C-series filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
WHY are these filters (Fluval C-series) noisy?! They have the same motors and impellers as the AquClears, yet the AquaClears are SILENT. I put Super Lube Synthetic Grease on the impeller shaft and it was a little quiet for 2 days, but it got louder. I’ve unplugged it and plugged it back in a few times and even pulled the intake tube in and out a few times and it’s still not silent. What gives? How is it that the AquaClears use the same motors and impellers as the Fluval C-series filters, but the AquaClears make no noise at all?

Anna

My Aqua Clear 110's make unwanted noises occasionally. It's usually that the intake tube is not seated properly, or the lid is not snuggly resting on top. New Aqua Clears usually need two or three weeks to allow the moving parts to gunk up before they quiet down. It's likely your C series filter suffers from similar issues.

I hated mine, sitting on the shelf, replaced the motor and everyhting. Think it's just an over complicated/crap design.

My 1st C3 was horribly noisy-but became silent in about 3 weeks

How long have you had your C series?

I think it's luck of the draw ..... which is still inexcusable.

My second C3 came silent out of the box.

My C4 is extremely quiet but not silent.

While these filters do a great job, I find it hard to believe Fluval doesn't test them in water before they leave the factory ... and/or work a litter harder on the impeller design to achieve consistently silent results.

You might give their customer service department a call and see what they'll do for you.

Edit: It's not just Fluval C series. There seem to be more noisy AquaClear youtube videos than Fluval C series. For example:

And this guy's experience was identical to mine:

Mine is quiet now. I took the impeller out and gobbed the impeller shaft with Super Lube Synthetic Grrase and I also gobbed the part that the propeller sits on with the grease and put it all back together and now all I hear is a low hum, but no rattle and it’s definitely quieter than it was.

Back
Top Bottom