Fluval c3 and c4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are these good? I was considering upgrading my 20 talls filter. I kind of want a sump but that might be overkill pluss I dont know how to make one...

Sumps are cool. I don't really know how to make one either, but there are plenty of threads on these forums that can help.
They are more in favor with SW than FW aquariums, I think.
I am interested in getting a canister filter and am subscribing to your thread to learn.
I used to have a Magnum 300(?) canisters filter 15 years ago but there are many options today.
Just err on the side of more (not less) filtration power for your tank. That philosophy is the consensus here.

Sumps are cool. I don't really know how to make one either, but there are plenty of threads on these forums that can help.
They are more in favor with SW than FW aquariums, I think.
I am interested in getting a canister filter and am subscribing to your thread to learn.
I used to have a Magnum 300(?) canisters filter 15 years ago but there are many options today.
Just err on the side of more (not less) filtration power for your tank. That philosophy is the consensus here.
I agree. Someone suggested a canister to me but I dont know anything about them. I think the sumps are cool and would love to make one.

My old Magnum 300 canister filter had a vertical sort of interior with an 8" tall mesh sleeve (mechanical/biological) that fit over an activated carbon interior core for chemical filtration - at least I think that is more or less how it was set up. It has been 15 years...sigh...where does the time go?

There are at least four or five popular brands from which to choose. Fluval. Nexx. Marineland. Eheim. Etc

Some of them are built like a lunchbox from India...vertical stacking of three shelves. Each shelf houses a filtration media such as floss/pads, charcoal, and bioballs (high surface are to promote bacteria growth for biological filtration).

Depending on the type of fish, you might want to pay attention to the flow rate. Some fish prefer flow, others get blown about a bit. I have heard that Discus don't particularly care for the high flow rate, but I am sure others on these forums might have other opinions based on better experience. I am only regurgitating what I have studied on these forums over the past few weeks.

I see you started another thread on sumps. Good luck, I'll be watching and learning...

:)

I am curious too.
I had a Magnum canister but it sat under the tank in the cabinet.
It had two tubes, intake and output, was about a foot tall, and drove good flow into my old 55g tank.
I loved it, as it was a big advance from my old UGF with air pump days.
Eventually, I replaced the airstones with power heads too.
And I had an HOB power filter.
I guess I got a little filter crazy but better too much in most cases, or so I hear.

I am probably going to get an over-spec canister filter for my new (and only) tank.
I'll be happy to share any info driving my decision.

Back
Top Bottom