Fluval CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron TB909

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got the Fluval 20g CO2 mini pressurized kit for a new 10g planted tank I'm setting up primarily for breeding. Being so small, I'm assuming that the cylinders will run dry rather quick. Does anyone know if I can use the larger canisters? I see a 20g and an 88g replacements, just wanted to know if the regulator will fit on both cylinders...Thanks for your help!:blink:

I just got the Fluval 20g CO2 mini pressurized kit for a new 10g planted tank I'm setting up primarily for breeding. Being so small, I'm assuming that the cylinders will run dry rather quick. Does anyone know if I can use the larger canisters? I see a 20g and an 88g replacements, just wanted to know if the regulator will fit on both cylinders...Thanks for your help!:blink:

Hello- I have kept the same smaller Fluval co2 kit. the 88g cartridges do not fit the valve that comes with the smaller kit-the thread size is a much larger. Fluval made the thread size that way so that costumers had to buy their refills.

maxwellag said:
Hello- I have kept the same smaller Fluval co2 kit. the 88g cartridges do not fit the valve that comes with the smaller kit-the thread size is a much larger. Fluval made the thread size that way so that costumers had to buy their refills.

Thanks max I wonder if I can find the regulator and use the smaller diffuser. Thanks for the help!

IMO... since you said you just got it, unless bought used, you "should" be able to return the system? Trust me, If you can return that co2 kit, it's worth the hassle as long as you can get your money back (minus shipping or whatever). Those proprietary refill cartridges will add up in cost over time and plus there's no solenoid valve on that regulator so you'll have to manually turn off/on the co2 or if you run it 24/7, you'll end up dishing out more cash for replacements sooner than later. You can piece together a good pressurized paintball system for not much more. The cost savings alone from not having to buy those cartridges will probably pay for this system eventually...

I've never personally bought the Fluval co2 kit, but I almost did. I practically read every review on Amazon (not to mention forums), which only gave this system 3 stars by the way. I'm glad I bought a regular co2 paintball system I did (the one listed below).

Here's a shopping list (feel free to change it up, or ask me questions):

-Aquatek Mini Regulator HERE - $79.99
-comes with Solenoid Valve, 16ft tubing, and bubble counter w/ integrated check valve
-Fluval Diffuser (here) - $10
-20oz CO2 Cylinder, Paintball tank. HERE - $17

Grand total Around $107
*these prices fluctuate daily almost... LOL

**Note: If you decide to follow my advice, and if you can find the paintball co2 locally at a paintball store or something. Ask if you buy the tank from them, if they offer some free refills. I actually bought 2 empire 20oz paintball tanks for $25 bucks each, which was more $$$ than Amazon. However, they both came with 5 free refills by buying from them. At $5 a refill, guess what... I got these tanks for free. It will probably be years before I have to pay for another refill.. since my tank is a nano that I'm using it on. :)

IMO... since you said you just got it, unless bought used, you "should" be able to return the system? Trust me, If you can return that co2 kit, it's worth the hassle as long as you can get your money back (minus shipping or whatever). Those proprietary refill cartridges will add up in cost over time and plus there's no solenoid valve on that regulator so you'll have to manually turn off/on the co2 or if you run it 24/7, you'll end up dishing out more cash for replacements sooner than later. You can piece together a good pressurized paintball system for not much more. The cost savings alone from not having to buy those cartridges will probably pay for this system eventually...

I've never personally bought the Fluval co2 kit, but I almost did. I practically read every review on Amazon (not to mention forums), which only gave this system 3 stars by the way. I'm glad I bought a regular co2 paintball system I did (the one listed below).

Here's a shopping list (feel free to change it up, or ask me questions):

-Aquatek Mini Regulator HERE - $79.99
-comes with Solenoid Valve, 16ft tubing, and bubble counter w/ integrated check valve
-Fluval Diffuser (here) - $10
-20oz CO2 Cylinder, Paintball tank. HERE - $17

Grand total Around $107
*these prices fluctuate daily almost... LOL

**Note: If you decide to follow my advice, and if you can find the paintball co2 locally at a paintball store or something. Ask if you buy the tank from them, if they offer some free refills. I actually bought 2 empire 20oz paintball tanks for $25 bucks each, which was more $$$ than Amazon. However, they both came with 5 free refills by buying from them. At $5 a refill, guess what... I got these tanks for free. It will probably be years before I have to pay for another refill.. since my tank is a nano that I'm using it on. :)

I agree, the Aquatek regulator is a much better choice in the long run. Also, co2 diffusers are typically cheaper on ebay. Here is one I use that works well:
Aquarium CO2 Diffuser Glass Carbon Dioxide Reactor Fish Tank | eBay

Back
Top Bottom