Fluval E300 heater JUNK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my Fluval E300 heater yesterday and started my fishless cycle on my 90 gal tank, had to add water to tank so added straight hot until temp in tank was 80 degrees, installed heater,waited 20 min,plugged in heater and set temp to 78 degrees.. This morning it is blue and reading 71 degrees..It couldnt MAINTAIN the temp much less warm it.. ANYONE ELSE have issues with this or did I just get a dud?

If its the heater with the color changing display then my guess is that yours is not working. I've had mine for almost a year now and it works great. I would recommend returning it for a new one because it is worth it.

Well I gave it another chance and used another heater to bring the temp up to 80 then unplugged it,and plugged in the Fluval E300 and set it for the same temp, (I even put it on an angle as suggested on another site)...No dice, this morning it was 75 and blue:( This thing cant even maintain a given heat much less heat it on its own..sent it back this morning and will give it one more try with the replacement, if that doesnt work I will get a refund and buy a "traditional" reliable heater...
PS I have seen on some online aquarium supply stores wont even stock them for reliability issues...:blink:

PSS Just a question, it says you arent supposed to use it in a cool room as it has issues bringing the temp back up..why isnt that an issue with any other heater?

I've got an E100 in a 20H and I've experienced the same thing to a lesser extent. I set the heater for 76 degrees and it'll drop down to 73-74 at night. I've got a 100W Hydor Theo in my 29g tank that's about 18" from the 20H and it doesn't have a problem keeping the tank warm.

I haven't experienced any of the problems that you guys have had. The temp in my apt is always between 67 to 70 degrees because I like it cold even in the winter. I have the temp in my tank set at 79 degrees, sometimes during my WC (water changes) I've added water that is 3 to 4 degrees colder. The blue light comes on indicating that the temp is low and within an hour or so the temp is back to 79 degrees. I have three different types of temp readers besides the one on the heater in my tank and they are all within 1 degree of each other so I know that the temp is at 79. The one point that is stressed on the instructions is that the heater needs to be placed where there is good water flow. The heater is enclosed in a protective case so low water flow could be your problem. My heater is placed near the the output of both of my filters. Hope this helps.

Got my Fluval E300 heater yesterday and started my fishless cycle on my 90 gal tank, had to add water to tank so added straight hot until temp in tank was 80 degrees, installed heater,waited 20 min,plugged in heater and set temp to 78 degrees.. This morning it is blue and reading 71 degrees..It couldnt MAINTAIN the temp much less warm it.. ANYONE ELSE have issues with this or did I just get a dud?

Several fishkeepers have posted in regard to problems that they have had with the Fluval E series. The microprocessor in the heater appears to be the culprit, since it does not work properly unless the heater core is directly under a strong flow of water.

I purchased an E300 last year and set it up vertically only to find that it would never reach the proper operating temperature. I eventually placed the heater horizontally, a few inches under the flow of my Aquaclear 70, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. As for raising the temperature above 81 degrees, the fish I keep like it in the mid to high 70's, so I have never had the need to run the Fluval above 80 degrees.

They are nice heaters that in my experience do register accurately (having compared the E300's digital temp with an analogue thermometer), and it is nice to have the digital display.

The E series are pricey, however, they can be had at a bargain on certain Internet sites. I paid $53 for the first one, and $32.95 for the last one on Amazon.com. A great heater at the latter price IMO.

The only other drawback is that the plastic housing used as a fish guard on the E series heaters has several vents that can be blocked by algae growth, which does require that the heater be cleaned on a regular basis.

You don't have to remove it from your tank. Just unplug it and give it a few minutes to cool before using an abrasive sponge to clean it off.

I agree they are JUNK

Here is the review I posted on AMAZON
I have THREE Hagen Fluval E Series Heater - E 300, 300 Watt All are just over a year old and one has FAILED with water entering the glass tube. The main problem with these heaters is that they draw 10 Watts of power each even when not heating, this seems a very large consumption just for a little circuit board and monitoring the temperature......

I initially checked these heaters with a power meter when new. Even though the LED was showing `flashing blue` which meant the tank temperature was low, the power demand seemed to cycle on and off over a period............strange behaviour. In fact the HEAT was only ON for 30% of the time that heat demand was required. This meant it took a long while to establish the `working temperature` after a water change with cooler water. I don`t understand why the heater should take so long; sometimes up to an hour !!! to begin heating even though the LED was flashing blue indicating a LOW temperature. I emailed hagen and all they said was to return it.....no comment on the operation issues.

Getting on my bandwagon a bit....I really believe that maunufacturers should be encouraged to make equipment that draws a very minimum of power. I recently bought some remote control power sockets and each one only draws 0.3watt quite an achievment I think !!!!

One other point is the fragility of the heater casing. The plastic case is constructed of several small sections, which are `clipped` together. If you don`t handle this with care they break very easlily.

All in all not a good product.

The only plus point is the digital display and presumably accuracy of the `switching` but this does not compensate for the other failings
------------------------------------------------------------------
So I fully agree with you, I can`t see why these heaters get such good reviews......I guess if they are in a tank in the warm with little or no demand on it, then the issues we found would not be noticed.

Just to put in my two cents... I have the same heater, placed horizontally, in the middle of the tank, not directly under any flow of water, and it keeps my 55 gallon tank a very consistent 85.5 degrees. Now that's just my experience.

I've had the Fluval E-series before, and it also failed to keep a decent temperature in my tank - but ultimately the reason I got rid of it was that the orange "temp toggle" stopped responding to the "lower" side, so I was fiddling with the temperatures and turned it up but then couldn't turn it back down.

The Fluval M-series, on the other hand, has been doing a fantastic job in the same tank, and looks a lot sleeker too (super-reflective body makes it mimic the tank decor, plants, etc)

I think these heaters are underpowered. They can't keep my 55 gal warm so I put in another heater and it's been pretty stable. I loved this heater in my 20gal as it kept the tank at exactly 78 degrees. No more no less.
I think the on off cycling is to allow the heat to evenly distribute before it heats again.

I think these heaters are underpowered. They can't keep my 55 gal warm so I put in another heater and it's been pretty stable. I loved this heater in my 20gal as it kept the tank at exactly 78 degrees. No more no less.
I think the on off cycling is to allow the heat to evenly distribute before it heats again.

As I said I believe it is the internal temperature sensor that inhibits the `heat cycle` if too warm and it appears that unless youhave a really good water flow through the heater ( or the tank demands are really low) it will only `heatup` for approx 30% of the time that it should be heating.
Here is a youtube video; from Fluva/ I believe, extolling the virtues of the E-300 series.

The video says the heater will continue to heat until the desired temperature is reached............This will only happen with a very good water flow through the heater. I personally think that the way it works represents a design flaw. Also the point is that the heater draws 10Watts of power just monitoring the temperature and displaying an LED, this is FAR TOO HIGH.....In this day and age of being GREEN this is unacceptable.

Just got a reply from Hagen/Fluval
New Message

Dear Mr XXX
Thank you for your e-mail.
The E heater may have need to be reset, to do this turn off the heater and re-position the heater on a 45 degree angle, then turn on the heater and turn down the temp as low as it will go,18" ,then turn up the heater as high as it will go ,34" ,after this set the heater at the desired temp and leave at a 45 degree angle making sure it is totaly submerged.
We have had no problems with the heaters,the only issue we have had, is that the heaters need to be positioned on a 45 degree angle to disperse the heat .The heater are so sensitive, they will sometimes read the water temp inside the heater guard if positioned verticaly.
If non or the above helps please call me or return it,along with your proof of purchase to your supplier for replacement under warranty,as it has a 5 year warranty with them.
Hope this helps

Jonathan Wright
Aquatic Customer Service/Technical Advisor

Rolf C. Hagen (UK) Ltd.
California Drive
Whitwood Industrial Estate
Castleford, West Yorkshire
WF10 5QH
phone: +44 (1977) 55 66 22
fax: +44 (1977) 51 34 65
http://www.hagen.com
jonathan.wright@rchagen.com

Don`t know if this will help. Perhaps someone could try this idea.

I have one in my 50g freshwater for over a year and works great. I can even test it against other thermometers and it's accurate. Just bought one for my 55g saltwater and it heated the water in about an hour and has stayed a constant temperature.

ukcalibrauk said:
Just got a reply from Hagen/Fluval
New Message

Dear Mr XXX
Thank you for your e-mail.
The E heater may have need to be reset, to do this turn off the heater and re-position the heater on a 45 degree angle, then turn on the heater and turn down the temp as low as it will go,18" ,then turn up the heater as high as it will go ,34" ,after this set the heater at the desired temp and leave at a 45 degree angle making sure it is totaly submerged.
We have had no problems with the heaters,the only issue we have had, is that the heaters need to be positioned on a 45 degree angle to disperse the heat .The heater are so sensitive, they will sometimes read the water temp inside the heater guard if positioned verticaly.
If non or the above helps please call me or return it,along with your proof of purchase to your supplier for replacement under warranty,as it has a 5 year warranty with them.
Hope this helps

Jonathan Wright
Aquatic Customer Service/Technical Advisor

Rolf C. Hagen (UK) Ltd.
California Drive
Whitwood Industrial Estate
Castleford, West Yorkshire
WF10 5QH
phone: +44 (1977) 55 66 22
fax: +44 (1977) 51 34 65
http://www.hagen.com
jonathan.wright@rchagen.com

Don`t know if this will help. Perhaps someone could try this idea.

That is very helpfull,as i too seem to be having an issue and my heater is verticle

Back
Top Bottom