Fluval e50 Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Fluval M 50 Heater

Oops!!!! The model of heater is actually a Fluval M 50 heater... I just edited it from an (e50, wrong model).

Hi... Was wondering if anyone here has the Fluval m50 heater and has fully submerged it? The diagram on the packaging shows a water line at the top of the unit (obviously when placed vertically) but I've read online somewhere that it can be fully submerged.

Also, I bought this heater for a Fluval Edge 6g and didn't really account for how long it is for a 50w heater. It's much longer than my Aqueon Pro 50 by comparison. Since the heater is so long, would there be any problems placing it sideways, horizontally just above the substrate? This heater is rated for tanks up to 15g, so a little loss in heating efficiency should be acceptable since the Edge is smaller, I think?

Last edited:
The same image exists on the E-series boxes... It's confusing to say the least...

I would be 100% confident its fully submersible, where did you read that it wasn't?

in fact:

As far as using it horizontally is concerned, that's fine. As long as it's got enough room beneath it for water to flow all around it it'll be absolutely fine. Just don't go half burying it in the substrate.

Over speccing your heater is commonplace for aquarists... If nothing else it allows temperature changes to be achieved quicker. Efficiency is such a woolly term nowerdays, it needn't really be applied here... The M50 will be as good at turning electrical current into heat as a smaller heater, it'll just do it quicker... Once the tank is up to temp the heater periodically turns itself off and on to maintain temperature so as long as it's powerful enough to reach the desired temperature it won't overheat the water just because it's larger.

Hope this helps..

Thanks Editor! Now I feel relieved of my purchase. When I got the Edge aquarium I compared the reviews of heaters on Amazon. The Fluval M50 had a much better rating and priced less than a dollar more than the 25w Fluval made specifically for the Edge, so I took a risk on getting it regardless of it being over specced. Glad to know it would work. I placed it sideways in the back and it hides pretty well (can't tell it's there) behind the decor and plants. I also left enough room between the heater and substrate to work.

Back
Top Bottom