Fluval FX4 problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my email (bottom) to Fluval & their response:

We thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Are you cleaning out the pump with a Q-tip or small brush and rinsing it out? It could be that your system is getting more air trapped causing the filter to stop and purge air sooner. Please email the following photos of your filter set up so we can review.

1. Hosing coming off the filter lid
2. Hosing running up the side of your tank
3. Hosing turning over the rim of your tank
4. A full front view of the entire aquarium at eye level.
5. A close up of the intake and output hosing inside of the tank.

Thank you,

Jason Olsen
Customer Service
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

--------------- Original Message --------

Subject: General Inquiry
Description:
My sister gave me a tank setup about a year ago that has two FX4 filters. Both worked up to the moment the system was dismantled for transport. When put back together, one filter failed. The motor was dead, cold & no vibrations. I bought a replacement impeller and motor & it was fine.

The other day, I removed a working FX4 for routine cleaning. The motor went dead when plugged in & placed under the tank. I removed the motor & intermittently the impeller spun & the motor appeared functional, meaning it started, but then stopped and restarted for no apparent reason. It has been properly cleaned. During an on phase, I returned in to under the tank & it has worked for the last 18 hours or so.

How can you account for motors working & not restarting when the filter is replaced placed in the proper position? I find this particularly bizarre as it’s happened twice. I am unable to see the images I attempted to upload. Can you please tell me if one or both are under warranty?

This is my email to Fluval (bottom) with their reply first.

Are you cleaning out the pump with a Q-tip or small brush and rinsing it out? It could be that your system is getting more air trapped causing the filter to stop and purge air sooner. Please email the following photos of your filter set up so we can review.

Thank you,

Jason Olsen
Customer Service
Rolf C. Hagen (USA)

Description:
My sister gave me a tank setup about a year ago that has two FX4 filters. Both worked up to the moment the system was dismantled for transport. When put back together, one filter failed. The motor was dead, cold & no vibrations. I bought a replacement impeller and motor & it was fine.

The other day, I removed a working FX4 for routine cleaning. The motor went dead when plugged in & placed under the tank. I removed the motor & intermittently the impeller spun & the motor appeared functional, meaning it started, but then stopped and restarted for no apparent reason. It has been properly cleaned. During an on phase, I returned in to under the tank & it has worked for the last 18 hours or so.

How can you account for motors working & not restarting when the filter is teplaced in the proper position? I find this particularly bizarre as it’s happened twice. I am unable to see the images of the serial # plate I attempted to upload. I hope you can. Can you please tell me if one or both are under warranty?

Thank you,

Jason Olsen
Customer Service
Rolf C. Hagen (USA)

Description:

The other day, I removed a working FX4 for routine cleaning. The motor went dead when plugged in & placed under the tank. I removed the motor & intermittently the impeller spun & the motor appeared functional, meaning it started, but then stopped and restarted for no apparent reason. It has been properly cleaned. During a on phase, I returned in to under the tank & it has worked for the last 18 hours or so.

How can you account for motors working & not restarting when the filter is placed in proper position. I find this particularly bizarre as it’s happened twice. I am unable to see the images I attempted to upload. Can you please tell me if one or both are under warranty?

C

Back
Top Bottom