Fluval FX5 - no "BioWheel" - please give me advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerGoetz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heya guys!
I have been running two 404's for years with GREAT success on a 120G, and I have 4 wide biowheels incorporated, two on each filter.
The humidity in my house is way too high and we need to either drop it or loose the tank.
So, I have a 150gallon waiting. That one is my old reef tank and has a closed top. I wonder if I can run the FX5 without a bio-wheel. Is this multistager able to do ALL my mechanical and biological filtration? In the end, I hope to have a nice system without the effect of running the biggest humidifier money can buy (the 4 biowheel evaporate 10 Gallons a week).

And if I can run the FX5 as a closed in-line, will I need to run a airstone now since I don't enrich the water with air anymore via my wheels and the splash??

Thank you for your advice,

Götz

Hi DerGoetz and welcome to AA!

I am confused about the Fluvals. I have the 404 and it does not have a "bio-wheel". It is totally enclosed. Did you install these yourself?

Yeah, I retro-fit Biowheels.
http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_bwpro.asp

I started out with Emperor system 4 years ago and when I got my 120 Gallon Tank I obvioulsy didnt want to run 3 or 4 of them. So I went ahead and got Fluval 404's.
I learned/heard over the years that aerobic filtration using bio-wheels or rivaling solutions (sponge etc) was what really drove the biological filtration in my tank.

But now I just about had it with the high humidity in my house, its like a tropical garden. And I really want to give that FX5 a try and drop the bio-wheels all together.

Question is: will my tank run just as great (never had one problem in 4 years) without biowheels and on a FX5 instead?

and the follow up question would be: since I do not enrich water with oxygen via wheels and splash anymore, would an airstone that runs 24/7 be necessary (which I guess it will be)?

:multi: :multi: :multi: Welcome to AA, DerGoetz! :multi: :multi: :multi:

Question is: will my tank run just as great (never had one problem in 4 years) without biowheels and on a FX5 instead?
Answer: YES

and the follow up question would be: since I do not enrich water with oxygen via wheels and splash anymore, would an airstone that runs 24/7 be necessary (which I guess it will be)?
No, aim the spray bar up to the water's surface. The agitation of the water's surface will allow the needed oxygen to dissolve into the water. Airstones are only helpful in agitating the water's surface. Bubbles released from the airstone do not allow the oxygen to dissolve into the water by the time they hit the surface. All of my tanks 29-80 gallons have canister filters; the filters are quiet and the environment in the tanks is just fishy ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. The answer to both of your questions is yes. You could also use a spraybar, which will allow you to point the outflow upwards and create some surface agitation that way.

Great advice, thank you guys!
Could you be so kind and point me to a "spraybar" that I could fit on the return?

B0009YUIX6.01-A9P1KZBSDQIPK._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fluval makes this one but would the Fluval Spray bar fit on the FX5?
It says 404 max (so far).
Or would that be a DIY part for the FX5?
And what I dont understand is: would this spraybar be installed under water and point up, as you said?
Or would it be hovering above the water and spray into the water and therefore cause tons of evaporation of water?

I mean, it looks easy enougth to make but what about evaporation now? I try to get away from loosing a lot of water and having high humidity. Hmm....

You may have to contact Hagen for the details. The FX5 is fairly new. If you were using it, the installation can go in any direction the user desires while submerged. You can turn it in so many different ways to allow as much or as little surface agitation as you want. I have absolutely no evaporation to speak of using this method.

Oh, I understand. You are saying that the surface agitation alone will be enough to supply oxygen to the fish?
It would be easy for me to build a spray bar myself, I am a seasoned Reef guy.
That would be great since I am planning to run Tunze pumps anyways and dont need the flow coming from the Return of the FX5 at all.
I am a stong believer in current, I witnessed first hand in my FW tank WHAT a difference flow makes, my fish are very active, very happy and even spawn ever since I dropped a BIG Rio in my tank.

Further, I plan to use the center overflow box as a feed to the FX5. I will close the bulkheads and instead drop the intake of the FX5 into the overflow box. That should work, shouldnt it? Since the Overflow box will be filled with water all the way up to the slots. Has anyone done/seen this working and has advice on this, as well?

Hope I am not posting too many questions here, haha!

would this spraybar be installed under water and point up, as you said?
Or would it be hovering above the water and spray into the water and therefore cause tons of evaporation of water?
Yes to both, but when the spray bar is below the surface, there is little evaporation and the tank stays quieter (big deal to those that like peace and quiet).
You are saying that the surface agitation alone will be enough to supply oxygen to the fish?
Yes
The spray bar is the long tube with holes on it.

Overflow boxes and the rest are too technical for me. JC checks in often and may have advice.

Hope I am not posting too many questions here, haha!
There's no such thing!

Further, I plan to use the center overflow box as a feed to the FX5. I will close the bulkheads and instead drop the intake of the FX5 into the overflow box. That should work, shouldnt it? Since the Overflow box will be filled with water all the way up to the slots.

This is more in the realm of salties who use overflow boxes, sumps/fuges, etc. There are a few of us freshies that do use and have knowledge of them. Perhaps tossing this question in the equipment forum could yield some qualified answers. Menagerie gives me much too much credit. :D

hahha!

Thanks guys!
I am really surprised that plain agitating the surface without causing any airbubbles is enough to supply my fish with air, but hey! GOOD NEWS!
Thank you, guys!

JChillin said:
Menagerie gives me much too much credit.
Sometimes I forget JC got some of his first somewhat sarcastic fish advice from me :biglol:

I am really surprised that plain agitating the surface without causing any airbubbles is enough to supply my fish with air, but hey! GOOD NEWS!
It is good news--and you will soon be out of the tropical forest environment. If the lights on my 80 gallon were working, I would be able to show you how much surface agitation can occur by angling the spray bar up, but the pics didn't come out and now all the fish want to be fed. :roll:

Hahah!

Menagerie, I would really appreciate if you could post a picture since I dont know how severe the agitation needs to be.

I will get two Spray bars for my two 404's this week. The FX5 wont be in for a couple of more weeks. That way I can familiarize myself with that setup. And if you could make a photo available as a guideline for me, that would be absolutely great.

But if you cannot I totally understand, just to sum it up: thank you sooo much, your advice and willingness to help is exemplary!

I have an FX5, i'm not too sure about the 404 but the FX5 has huge piping and output!
I dont think the spray bar will work on the fx. the fx is supplied with a splitter on the outlet and is also independantly multi directional. I point it at the surface and it gives great aggitation. I say wait till you get the FX5 and go from there.

I run air on all my tanks. seems to keep them fresher (not as much smell), does that sound stupid?

I dont think the spray bar will work on the fx. the fx is supplied with a splitter on the outlet and is also independantly multi directional. I point it at the surface and it gives great aggitation.
This sounds like what I use on my 29 gallon tank and it works as well as a spray bar.

I run air on all my tanks. seems to keep them fresher (not as much smell), does that sound stupid?
You should find out where the smell is coming from. Some members describe their tanks as smelling "earthy" (they don't mind) but I have never had a smell issue with my tanks.

This is looking down into the tank--spray bar is on the right.
img_632070_0_e509ae72a1b59388ba85f600e65b5482.jpg

Looking up
img_632070_1_650aec6d015841787bbb9dda0b5774f9.jpg

This is looking up from the opposite side of the tank and the spray bar is on the left.
img_632070_2_ae37b01eb4c7820ec6f62f5de68f4e49.jpg

As you can see, there is plenty of surface agitation! And I need to thank my fish for not getting in the way this morning~algea wafers on the other side of the tank helped!
DerGoetz said:
thank you sooo much, your advice and willingness to help is exemplary!
You are welcome; I think you will find many members of AA willing to take an extra step for their fellow aquarist.

Back
Top Bottom