Fluval FX6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had personal experience with the new fluval fx6 canister filter? Was looking at buying the fx5 but I seem the fx6 is out now and I can not find much about it besides the product details on various sites selling it.

Have fx5 on 150 discus tank it's great clear as could be

Have fx5 on 150 discus tank it's great clear as could be

Yeah I have heard very good things about the fx5 just curious if the fx6 is worth the extra money. I have a 125 gallon right now with 2 penguin 350 HOB on it now and looking for something that will handle it with out any issues.

Mines on a 150 with discus flow isn't crazy like you would think but clears tank in a few hours

Flow was my biggest I cut down on pre filter and just use to baskets of bio media now all good service unit once a month

Not at all look at my pics of 150 g there 8 inch discus

Thank you for your advice and feedback. Off to bed I go. Very nice fish I have to say.

If the fx5 is anything to go on the fx6 must be rubbish to

The fx5 faults

1. It's just a big massive sponge filter

2. It's noisy

3. It need to be cleaned to often

4. It has rubbish ribbed pipe you can't connect a UV or inline heater to

5. It costs to much to run

6. Lots of problems with the motor

7. Which isn't a fault but its cheap compared to a eheim 2080 but the build quality shows that

If fluval have leans from this the the fx6 should be great if not then you may as well buy a ehem pro 3 as they do the job better than a fx5
If the fx5 is as good as everyone says then why the need for the fx6

Lets face it the fluval g models was a total flop

The fx5 faults

2. It's noisy

7. Which isn't a fault but its cheap compared to a eheim 2080 but the build quality shows that

If fluval have leans from this the the fx6 should be great if not then you may as well buy a ehem pro 3 as they do the job better than a fx5

Do you have the ehem pro 3?

The fx5 faults

2. It's noisy

I agree 100% I had nothing but issues with my fx5. I got rod of it and went back to my 2 aqua clear 110's and I'm very happy.

The fx5 for me was a huge pain!! I had replacement parts sent to me twice!!

I haven't checked the specs on the new one, but almost bought the FX5 filter sometime back, but got the 2080. I read that folks who have them fx5 like them & they have worked for them on big tanks.

With that being said, this is like the issue with the aqua clear that some are having issues witrh in here. Some are having issues with the noise & others say they are silent as can be. Even Eheim forget which model had issues with water leaking for a sealed or an o-ring and that was later fixed.

Now, besides the new motor on this model what else is different?

I have a fx5 on my 135 and its a boss. Considering I could get two of them for the price of a eheim, (or very close to). I'd take the fx5 any day of the week.

And realistically once you start getting into tanks with the sizes that a fx5 or two couldn't handle, you should have a large sumptank anyways...

I only cleaned the pre filter and changed the white pad every 6 months I would live to see a fx5 go that long before cleaning my tank was also very heavy stocked

Basing filter recommendations on how long you can go without cleaning them should not even be considered. That is just horrible fish keeping practices, especially with a "heavy stocked" tank.

As far as the need for a FX6, every manufacturer in the world makes new models of their products. No product is perfect, even ehiems.

I have a 406 and I love the new 6 series. I'm curious to see some factual reports on the FX6, not biased opinions based on experiences with the FX5.

Basing filter recommendations on how long you can go without cleaning them should not even be considered. That is just horrible fish keeping practices, especially with a "heavy stocked" tank.

As far as the need for a FX6, every manufacturer in the world makes new models of their products. No product is perfect, even ehiems.

I have a 406 and I love the new 6 series. I'm curious to see some factual reports on the FX6, not biased opinions based on experiences with the FX5.

That's rubbish the eheim brakes down waste 100 x better than the fx5 which is why it needs less cleaning

As far as I know the fx5 has about 4 cup gulls of bio media the rest is one big sponge filter

The other problem with the fx5 is yes it has good flow but that's about it

I used one for a bit as I feel its not fair to slag something off unless you have used one

I even found the motor on the fx5 was always getting clogged up with gunk as the motor is on the bottom

It's a very bad design the only good thing about it is it cheap

Look

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

That's rubbish the eheim brakes down waste 100 x better than the fx5 which is why it needs less cleaning

As far as I know the fx5 has about 4 cup gulls of bio media the rest is one big sponge filter

The other problem with the fx5 is yes it has good flow but that's about it

I used one for a bit as I feel its not fair to slag something off unless you have used one

I even found the motor on the fx5 was always getting clogged up with gunk as the motor is on the bottom

It's a very bad design the only good thing about it is it cheap

Look

Discus Forums :: View topic - Eheim 2080 Pro3 vs Fluval FX5 REVIEW FINISHED !

I'm curious why you think the ehiem breaks waste down better? Do you mean it gets passed through the media? The waste won't break down, you have to remove it from the media as part of routine maintenance.

With a more typical maintenance regimen you would probably have less issues with gunk in the motor, of any filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom