Fluval fx6 for 65gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishrover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I am pretty new at the hobby and have a question I’m hoping you guys can help me with. My wife bought a 65 gallon tank from Petsmart the other day. While there we noticed they had a Fluval FX6 on sale so we jumped on it. Well I see this is for a MUCH bigger tank so I know it’s overkill. My question is would it hurt to use this filter for this tank? We are undecided what type of fish we want to get. Either African cichlids or discus we are thinking. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. Like I said, I am relatively new at the hobby.

Attachments

• A9FF7762-CEE2-4D87-92AF-8CBA47B33709.jpeg
    A9FF7762-CEE2-4D87-92AF-8CBA47B33709.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 61
The FX6 is overkill for your tank. However the flow rate is adjustable so you can turn this down if you want to still use it.

Im looking at your photo. Does the fx6 fit inside your cabinet?

Edit:

Found this, ive not watched it but it may be useful.

Very good question. And I should have added that in my original post. No it does not. The cabinet is about 18 inches high and I believe the FX6 is like 20” so that is also a problem.

The FX6 has variable speed? I'll have to check mine...I seen no way to regulate speed on mine...

Very good question. And I should have added that in my original post. No it does not. The cabinet is about 18 inches high and I believe the FX6 is like 20” so that is also a problem.
I think this makes your decision for you. I was going to suggest a fluval 407, but that is too tall as well. 2 x 307s might fit just, but the valves and pipework probably take it over the 18" you have. I honestly think your cabinet precludes most canisters that would be big enough for 65 gallons. I think an FX4 is short and fat, that might work.

Ok, gotcha by restriction of the flow, not by motor like my HW-5000..Thanks I have a FX6 also, but don't use it...

Oh, that would definitely be nice to control water flow. And yes. I’m thinking about the FX four. They say that it is 17.7 in so may just fit. Would also be a little more realistic for a 65 gallon tank. Still overkill but not as crazy as the FX 6. I guess I better take a measuring tape with me to Petco. I really love all the reviews I’ve read about the FX series so I sure hope it fits.

I wasnt sure if the noted dimension included the valves and any pipework. I just checked a 406, and they dont on that one. You need to add 4 or 5" onto the canister dimension to allow for valves and pipework routing. Based on that a fx4 wont fit, but its still worth taking your tape measure.

Given your cabinet a couple of HoBs or internal filters might be a good way to go, or a sponge filter. Or sit your canister at the side. Or get a cabinet with better usable space.

Edit: I have a still boxed Fluval U4 internal filter that ive never used. Thats rated for 65 gallons. Personally i think they are undersized for a 65 gallon but i keep it for emergency.

Oh, I was wondering if they took the valves into consideration when they tell the height size. Thanks for letting me know that. Might have to do as suggested and put it on the side. Or maybe do A couple of Hobs. Any suggestions on a good brand of Hob filters? And do you think that would be good for discus or African cichlids? Thank you all very much for the info. Helps a lot.

Im from UK. Ive never seen a HoB in a store (although ive never really looked). They dont seem popular here, i dont know why.

Eheim always seem to come recommended, but you would be better taking recommendations from someone who has used HoBs.

Oh cool! I’m in Southwest Florida myself. And after doing a lot of reading I think I’m just going to try to make this canister filter work. Even if I have to put it on the side. The hob filters just don’t look like they’re going to work for what I have in mind. And yes, I have read a lot about the Eheim brand and everyone seems to think they are great. Thank you for the advice.

I use canister filters and for your size tank its a good idea if you can make it work. Pity about the cabinet. Let us know how you get on and if you need any help you know where to find us.

Back
Top Bottom