Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thumbs down Fluval FX6 Tricky Problem

Hey there. Having trouble with my Fluval fx6. I started noticing fish were dying. I come to find my fluval filter wasn't intaking and outputing at full power anymore. I ordered all new motor with the new impeller and seal. This didn't change a thing..tubes aren't clogged, seals seam fine for them..WHAT IS GOING ON. I literally am goin crazy here tryn to figure it out. I took everything a part again for the 3rd time and then took it up to test in my bathtub with both motors with different impellers n seal. I ended up switching the motor back n forth to see differences like 5 times..took me hours and thought I had everything good lookn with the og motor with new impeller. I put it back on my aquarium at 2:30am and next day I'm at the same place I was with a new impeller and seal. The motor did nothn, my og one was perfectly working. It seemed to have been intaking and outputing actually fine in my bathtub..but once I put it on my aquarium...its so weak that fish die..anyone out there have a clue???? Aquarium is a 65 gallon..I have a video of it outputting earlier today I can email to the people who want to help..also to note, my intake doesn't feel like the tube is really intaking too hard..thats where the flow seems weak. Alllllso, the air bubbles are huge it makes when it expels air what not. Which it didn't do before when it worked properly

Old 10-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like maybe a small air leak in a line or somewhere

Old 10-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are so many issues with Fluvals, try searching Google for a host of help.
https://www.google.com/search?client...+fx6+slow+flow

Although it sounds like your filter is having issues, this link may help also:

Stop slow fish deaths with Media

https://aquariumscience.org/index.ph...w-fish-deaths/
Old 10-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah thanks man. I emailed them..I cannot tell whats goin on. had to buy a aquaclear 70 then a 110...UGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
There are so many issues with Fluvals, try searching Google for a host of help.
https://www.google.com/search?client...+fx6+slow+flow

Although it sounds like your filter is having issues, this link may help also:

Stop slow fish deaths with Media

https://aquariumscience.org/index.ph...w-fish-deaths/
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would normally assume that the issue was clogged media. However, I know you've checked such things. The positive side is that Fluval has great customer service. Good luck and please let us know how your situation is resolved.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Overfilter View Post
I would normally assume that the issue was clogged media. However, I know you've checked such things. The positive side is that Fluval has great customer service. Good luck and please let us know how your situation is resolved.
Yeah. Since I got an aquaclear 110 at least now my fish won't freakn die..even tho i lost all 12 red and headband kuhlis and two Lentipes Kaeaa(My fav fish ive ever had) yeah its been terrible...but eh..what can u do but be super super depressed about it...ha fack.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm glad your fish are aces now. The 110 looks like a great filter.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What is the level of filter vs the height of lift for the filter it should handle a standard lift of 3.5 feet but in case it is farther away, that could be an issue. How frustrating for you. I have 2 FX-5 and love them Also the 110 is a pretty good option - biggest turnover G p/h hob as far as I know.

An issue I had one time was not leaving enough room for the water to circulate / because I filled that sucker up as much as possible with media and also added filter pad about the top line. Barely ran.

They (customer service) have been really helpful for me when I have had any issues.

Did you get any possible answers yet?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The other issue was filling the canister 2/3-3/4 full before sealing it up and allowing the tank water to fill it up before turning on.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
The other issue was filling the canister 2/3-3/4 full before sealing it up and allowing the tank water to fill it up before turning on.
Fluval FX-series has a cute feature. After a filter change the unit pulses the pump, frequently at first, to purge itself of air. This works well when using lots of foamy media.

Tags
fluval, ick, problem, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com