foam or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will build a stand tomorrow. I saw on Larry building thread that he used some kind of foam between tank frame and top of stand. Should I buy something too?

First would be what size tank are we talking about? Are you going to have a solid platform for the tank to sit on like plywood, or just 2x4's or something along the edge?

I think you are going to get two answers to this. My opinion is no. Most commercial stands aren't going to have foam as the frames of the tank are plenty to support it as a whole. With foam on the bottom you can potentially add an up pressure as the tank settles onto the foam, it will crush on the sides but the bottom glass won't do that. Now you have pressure on that bottom glass pushing up and the water pushing down... not a good combo IMO.

Your experience may vary, but why do that when most don't and never have a problem?

I built a stand that was 2x4 as well but put a piece of plywood on top for the tank to rest on. Are you saying that it will be an open top? (there isn't anything wrong with that, I'm just trying to clarify).

Thanks!

Since my tank is reef ready has holes drill in the bottom, so stand will be open and tank will rest on frame <2x4 top frame.>

What I used around the edges of my stand (it only touches the plastic frame) was a thin piece of foam backer board that's used in picture frames. It does not touch any glass. I only used it to fill in any imperfections between the wood and plastic trim.

Back
Top Bottom