freahwater sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrudd013

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm working on a 30gallon tank that's a bit of an experament. I plan to have a sump. Ive built sumps for my salt water tanks befor but not freshwater. I also plan to drill my drain hole in the left side of the tank and my return in the right. I've never seen this done befor and can't find anyone online who has either. Anyone know why? Any comments good or bad are welcome. Thanks.

I'm working on a 30gallon tank that's a bit of an experament. I plan to have a sump. Ive built sumps for my salt water tanks befor but not freshwater. I also plan to drill my drain hole in the left side of the tank and my return in the right. I've never seen this done befor and can't find anyone online who has either. Anyone know why? Any comments good or bad are welcome. Thanks.

Hello!

Generally sumps aren't used in freshwater because, although sumps give some of the same benefits for freshwater as they do saltwater, freshwater are generally easier to care for which makes the effort into making a sump disproportional to the benefits it brings.

If you're making a display tank, maybe a high tech planted or a beautiful community tank, I think it can be worth it to keep equipment out of view. But in freshwater, you have no need for a refugium section or a protein skimmer. Essentially all that a sump adds (outside of some extra water) is what a good canister filter can do for you, especially if you get an in-line heater.

This by no means should stop you from doing it. I think sumps SHOULD be used more but its not always feasible or practical to do so especially considering that most freshwater tanks are on the smaller side.

Hope that helps!

I used to run a saltwater tank with a corner overflow and sump as a freshwater tank. It worked very well, except that my little freshwater fish (especially the danios) could fit through the slots on the overflow and I would always have to fish them out.

I have seen both corners done as you described - once. I think the general reason people dont usually do both corners is that you need to hide the return equipment as well as the drains and it's easier to just do that once plus you don't lose the added space in the tank. The return section would have to end up being dry to keep the water from turning stagnant plus that would be wasted space in the tank. I would stick to one corner or consider moving to the center. My son is setting up a 40 breeder reef right now with a drain and 2 return lines placed in the center pointing to the outside edges.

There's something to what Adam said above. Other than just added water what would be your real benefit? (unless you plan to make BOTH a display tank)

The return section would have to end up being dry to keep the water from turning stagnant plus that would be wasted space in the tank. I would stick to one corner or consider moving to the center. My son is setting up a 40 breeder reef right now with a drain and 2 return lines placed in the center pointing to the outside edges.

:confused:
why, the return doesn't have to be anything more than a pipe coming up from the bottom. Absolutely no need for a "compartment" for the return if that is what you are thinking.
He really only needs pipes, siphon and return, overflows are not crucially essential.

I would do it exactly as the OP intends, drain on one side, return on the opposite, and that is actually the proper way to set-up any type of filter system. You want to circulate the water from one area of the tank to the other, and from the bottom to the top.
Placing the drain and return on opposite side guarantees that more than if return/drain originated from the same area of the tank, even with directional return flow.

Just because something is commonly done doesn't necessarily mean it is the best way to do it.

There's something to what Adam said above. Other than just added water what would be your real benefit? (unless you plan to make BOTH a display tank)

Well for one thing you can greatly increase the biological filtering capacity of the system, thereby allowing for more dense stocking and much, much more leeway and latitude concerning water quality and overall stability.
The biggest caveat to a sump set-up is increased evaporation.

I always set-up my tanks so that the biological filtration has the potential to support a population many times what I intend and I have never had any issues with parameter spikes or "mini-cycles".

I'm loving all the replys and opinions thank you all. As for some clearer intentions. . There will be no "compartment" on the return side. Just the return line with two spouts one pointed to the rear and one to the front. The idea is as PB Smith states about proper water flow. Another point is the idea will be a river style tank with more movement on top and slower movement below. More biological filtration, easier water changes, evaperation won't show in the display tank, hidden components, etc. It will be a planted tank. As far as the fish I plan to build the overflow with some type of mesh behind the teeth. Im dawing up a schematic tonight. Ill post a picture of it. Oh and I'm building a custom stand that will cover all of the tank excepet the front. Kinda giving the illusion of an in the wall tank. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom