freshwater sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnyboy1219

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new to having a sump on a freshwater tank so if anybody could give me some info on what I should put in a 20 gal sump for a 55 gal tank it would be a big help.

Well I know the basics I have bio balls and filter pads and know to put my heater in it I jusg kinda want to know if there is any sump design better than the other or if there is more things I can put in it to keep the water cleaner

Most people don't recommend carbon because it removes trace elements. Pilyfill works as a good water polisher

I wouldn't waste my time or any money on a freshwater sump. A canister is a much better option.

In your opinion. If the tank is a reef ready tank it is certainly easier just to use a sump than to plug the holes and go with a canister. If the option is a hang on overflow I'd scrap it and go with a canister for sure.

Not sure why you think a sump is a waste of money on a FW tank. It's a big customizable filter with tons of room for bio media and mechanical media IMO, not to mention the added water volume, however slight, is never a bad thing.

Canisters offer the same thing but are easier to setup, especially for people not used to dealing with them. They are also more effective. I have used multiple types of sumps and canisters and I definitely would choose a good canister over a sump any day.

More effective is an opinion. I have also used multiple types of sumps and canisters.

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

Obviously it varies on setup, previous experience, etc. But I have never used a sump that I would prefer over a Fluval FX5.

There may be more room for media, but the media isn't used as effectively. Sumps can be inefficient mechanical filters. As soon as the media is clogged at all the water will take the path of least resistance and simply go around the mechanical media. In a canister this is not an option. As the media collects more debris there is no path of lesser resistance and the water keeps going through the media and keeps getting cleaned. You only need so much biomedia. If the tank only requires one liter of submerged biomedia it is of no benefit to have a sump with the ability to hold ten liters.

I know many people use and prefer sumps over canisters, but IME a canister is a more effective, easier to setup and maintain, and usually cheaper option. All I want to do is make sure that people at least look into canisters when deciding on filtration.

You dont use slumps for freshwater

Well thats a extremely helpful post...do you want to add anything else or are you sticking with that response?

I use AquaPro sumps on all three of my 150g and larger RR tanks, the benefits certainly outweigh the negatives. Giving a larger water volume, a place to hide equipment, a huge variety of media options, and the maintaining the display tanks water level is great. The only negative IMO is like Fishguy2727 states the mechanical filtration is somewhat lacking depending on specific sump design which is why I also run Fluval FX/5's on each one as well.

Last edited:
Iduno you can use a sump for freshwater.. you could even stuff it with anacris and such to suck up ammo, and keep your display tank filter and clutter free...

Although you can argue it's not the best form of filtration, they are indeed used successfully in MANY freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom