Freshwater sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somethingsfishy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just recently bought a reef ready saltwater setup. It is a 90 gallon with a 20g sump. Would I be able to use this in freshwater? What about a protein skimmer? Basically would a saltwater setup be a good idea to use with freshwater?

It will work fine. The bigger sump the better. The skimmer will be useless, sell it on craigslist.

Thanks. Would i need to do anything different? Does a sump provide mechanical filtration as well as biological? What should go in the sump?

A sump will provide both, but how effectively they do it is debated. IME a canister is more effective at mechanical, but with the tank already drilled and plumbed to run a sump I think it is easier for you to stick with the sump layout. Both provide adequate biological filtration.

Any pics of the sump? That will determine what goes where.

Haven't picked it up yet. Im new to dumps and drilled tanks so is there anything I should look for that will tell if it's a bad deal. Where should the tank be drilled at? I would hate to get jipped.

Is it new or used?

If it is reef-ready it should have a built-in overflow that will have two holes drilled in the bottom of the tank, one for drain and a slightly smaller one for the return.

It is a couple of years old. It is reef ready but i wasn't sure if the holes should be in a certain spot. I have the craigslist pictures if it will help. Maybe you can see if it's a good deal.

Attachments

• image-1769309303.jpg
    image-1769309303.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 189
  • image-1038153029.jpg
    image-1038153029.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 157
Looks like it has a built-in overflow centered on the back wall, not a bad option.

When you get it take some pics of the sump and we can let you know how to set it up.

Ok so I got the tank but I forgot the pictures. So let's begin with the questions again...
Do I have to put anything in the tank or can my equipment go in the sump( heater bubble stone etc)?
Can I put my old filter on the sump tank to seed the main tank or just put all media from old filter into sump compartments?
It is a three section sump... What goes in each?
Can I use live sand or will it harm my livestock? What about live rock? ( I know it's not live and may not become live)
That's what I've got now. I should probably start a build thread.:)

Live sand and rock are for marine tanks.

Yes, the filter can run on the sump to seed it.

Yes, almost all equipment can go in the sump. I still prefer air stones in the display.

We need pics to tell you exactly how it needs to be laid out.

Ok so here it is. The first pic is the protein skimmer I think. The second is the power head( there's three total). The third is the 36 in light kit. And the last is the sump. The setup is cleanish. Will old saltwater build up affect my water levels? How much sand do I need for a 2 in bed?

Attachments

• image-2227950941.jpg
    image-2227950941.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image-4018585944.jpg
    image-4018585944.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1022965455.jpg
    image-1022965455.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-652366804.jpg
    image-652366804.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 125
Why don't you just go ahead and do saltwater? Just a thought lol. You have all the equipment already so it won't be much more.

Good point, why not go saltwater?

Don't use sand in a freshwater sump. No need, no benefit, more cost and harder to clean.

No need for the skimmer in freshwater.

The powerheads could be useful if you need extra flow in the display.

Light looks good, may need different color bulbs depending on what you are trying to do.

Do you know how the sump was setup? It looks like there is a bulkhead through on side for the return pump, do you have the return pump? Good sump for saltwater, not the best for marine.

Salt water makes me nervous. I have all the setup but the fish and the coral are expensive. I will do salt just not now. I thought i could put sand in a freshwater tank? ( not in the sump) The tank is a 90g and yes I have the pump.

Attachments

• image-626498415.jpg
    image-626498415.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1805620041.jpg
    image-1805620041.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 153
I thought you meant you want to put the sand in the sump. For the display you need about 90-100 pounds to give a good inch or so.

I have the system up and running now. As for the sections of the sump, what should I put in them? I have the heater in the middle section. Is that ok? It's a 300 watt. Should I put my hob filter on the sump or just the contents in the sump? Also is it normal to have alot of bubbles in the first section of the sump, where the water enters the sump?

How is it setup now? If you use PVC to bring the water level up, use a couple 90s and drill a hole in the top it will gently overflow.

Ok so as soon as the temperature stabilizes I plan to put all my media into my sump and begin to seed my tank. Should I wait a day to add my fish or just an hour or so. I will double dose with prime when I seed. Good plan or what?

Just move the media and fish at the same time. I would only dose with prime if needed. Don't feed them until they have been in the tank for a day, and then only lightly.

Back
Top Bottom