Freshwater Tank Help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forcash97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was hoping to start a new freshwater tank and was thinking about getting either a 10 gallon tank or 12 gallon tank. I have decided I like the rounded front on the tank and have hopefully narrowed it down to 2 choices unless given others. I wanted to know what people think about the odyssea 10 gallon tank. I want a fluorescent light and a good filter but was not sure if it had these. The other tank I am considering is the 12 gallon eclipse tank, which is much more expensive. Could you please give me your opinions on these tanks and tell me which one you feel would be better to have in a college dorm room as a pet. I am mainly looking for a nice tank and i want the fluorescent light option and was not sure if the odyssea tank was fluorescent lights. Thanks alot. Mike

Well, first of all, welcome to AA. I would get the tank that you prefer. Personally, if you want great filteration i would personally get a filter with a bio-wheel on it (i think they sometimes comes with the eclipse). I am with you, i really enjoy bowfront tanks. Given what the light fixture is like, you may be able to swap the lights out for a reasonably cheap priced new hood OR you could get new lights for even cheaper.

Light question

The main thing is i just want to know if the odyssea is a good quality tank. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars but at the same time i dont want to buy a piece of junk. So i am willing to spend money on a tank as long as it is good quality. I also read that the odyssea has a One 18 watts 12000K 50/50 (half daylight, half actinic) and was wondering if thats a fluorescent light. I just like the curved style front and would like a nice tank that will hold some fish please help me out. Thanks Mike

The eclipse 12 is a great tank with bio-wheel, but the filtration system is built into the hood, so if you ever decide you wanted to add additional filtration, you would have to replace everything.

Other then that, it is very quiet and does a good job for a 12 gallon.

I have never heard of the other brand, so I can't help there. Sorry.

Any more opinions on the matter? I really need some help? Maybe there is another tank out there that is reasonably priced round front and fluorescent lighted?

I think these Eclipse 12-gals are great tanks (I have one, and a 15gal glass Eclipse as well) but I think if you are starting out a larger tank is going to be better in the long run. I can't tell if you have other tanks, but for a first tank something like a 46 bowfront (since you like the curved look) would be a good choice, or even a 55 gal ($99.00) for the tank at PetSmart is a good choice. They are so much easier to stock and to keep water quality under control.

The Eclipse 12 is a tidy-looking tank because of the filtration in the top, but it is minimal filtration, so stocking needs to be kept to a minimum. I grow plants in mine, but only java fern and java moss, along with crypts, all low-light plants. I don't know anything about the Odyssea, unfortunately.

How much on an average does a 12 gallon tank weight? I have a shelf but im not sure if it will hold the weight of the tank and am hesitant to put it on. In pounds how much would a full 12 gallon tank weight? Namely the eclipse tank?

Well a gallon of water weights 8.3 pounds. So roughly 110 pounds with water, rocks, and misc equipment. eclipse tanks are acrylic, so the tank itself prolly only weighs 2lbs.

Back
Top Bottom