Friggin Eclipse filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I got a great deal on a new Eclipse hood -- you know, with the filter and light built in. The trouble I find the filter much too powerful, and the water too turbulent.

I don't see a flow adjustment on the filter at all, which seems to be a Marineland trademark ( :roll: ). Am I missing something, or does anyone have a suggestion short of stuffing something up the intake tube?

Felf said:
lifting the intake tube a little

You're thinking of the HOB filters. That doesn't work with the Eclipse filter.

The Eclipse hoods and filters are a very nice piece of equipment, and it also looks nice! But I've always found them to be too powerful too. I have the Eclipse 5 gallon hex tank, and I covered the outflow with pantyhose.

You don't say what size filter you have, but try this -- lift out the whole filter assembly, the inflow tube and motor, the place where the cartridge sits, and the bio-wheel and outflow. You may want to float the bio-wheel in the tank while you work on the filter. I got some new, clean, unwashed black knee-high pantyhose and cut one a little bit above the foot. I stretched this part over the hole where the water comes back out. This is kind of right under the bio-wheel. When I put this whole filter/cartridge/bio-wheel assembly back in the tank, the tank frame held the pantyhose in place. This did reduce the outflow quite a bit. I still see the plants waving around gently, so I know there is still some water flow, but the betta's bubblenest is not torn apart anymore. The pantyhose does not act like a wick to bring up the water. The area around the frame stays dry, and you can put your cover back on and not worry about water puddling up in there.

I think I understand what you are talking about. Really you're not reducing the flow, but diffusing it so it is not concentrated in one jet, right?

I have the Eclipse-1. It came as part of a 15-Tall Eclipse Deluxe package.

Yes -- the water coming into the filter is not restricted, and the bio-wheel still turns freely. But the water coming out is not so strong or fast in one spot like it was. The betta can swim under the outflow without being knocked around.

I also wondered if I cut the pantyhose, if it would "run" and I'd have to replace it often. But it hasn't -- the same piece has been in there for about a month. I just took it off for the first time and swished it in the removed tank water during a water change. It was fine, and then I put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom