FX6 leaking on power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it common for FX6 to leak on a power outage?

If not I’m guessing seals some where, so which ones should I replace?

I'm not familiar with the fx6, but I have 13 canister filters, and some of them will leak a little when the power is off. We have to shut the valves off to keep it from continuing to siphon water from the tank and over flowing the canister. Some have good enough seals they'll hold the water in as the pressure increases. Some won't.

No it is not normal for a canister to leak on a power outage. You will have to check and find out exactly where the water is coming out. Just unplug it and watch. You could put paper towels near all the areas to find where the leak is.

I personally would say it's not supposed to leak. Not designed to leak. Or not correct for it to leak. But seeing as how the internet is full of ppl saying their canister filters leak during power outages, I'd not say it's abnormal. It's a sign that something is wrong. But it happens quite often to lots of folks and lots of different brands of filters

Is it common for FX6 to leak on a power outage?

If not I’m guessing seals some where, so which ones should I replace?

The replacement seals for the FX6 all come in a single SKU, so all you have to do is decide which ones you want to install. The fact that it leaks on a power outage implies that the seal for the pump MIGHT fix your problem. I replaced all of them at once preventively and my FX6 STARTED to leak from the drain valve and pump area's.

Which version of the FX6 do you have and have you contacted Fluval support?

The replacement seals for the FX6 all come in a single SKU, so all you have to do is decide which ones you want to install. The fact that it leaks on a power outage implies that the seal for the pump MIGHT fix your problem. I replaced all of them at once preventively and my FX6 STARTED to leak from the drain valve and pump area's.

Which version of the FX6 do you have and have you contacted Fluval support?
I think the drain valve is a common problem for leaks

Specifically with the FX6 or in general? I've had engineering problems with the 3 Fluval filters I've owned, which makes me feel stupid.
I don't own a fx. I have an old 406 which works great. I've just read about ppl online complaining about the fx models leaking at the drain. I should have clarified i don't have any personal experience with one tho

I don't own a fx. I have an old 406 which works great. I've just read about ppl online complaining about the fx models leaking at the drain. I should have clarified i don't have any personal experience with one tho

I trust your assessment of what you've read, Charlie. I have an old 406 inline too. It makes noises like an old car. I've checked it's impeller and it seems fine plus has solid throughput still.

My new approach is going to be based on research into what the Germans, European's and Asian's in general use, since many of them seem to take their tanks and accessories VERY seriously.

I'm watching my new Oase 600 (replaced an FX6) in hopes that I can depend on them at some point.

I've read good things about them. I have 3 different brands, all work well, the eheim classics that I have are frustrating at times because if moved a little the intake hose is prone to start leaking

I trust your assessment of what you've read, Charlie. I have an old 406 inline too. It makes noises like an old car. I've checked it's impeller and it seems fine plus has solid throughput still.

My new approach is going to be based on research into what the Germans, European's and Asian's in general use, since many of them seem to take their tanks and accessories VERY seriously.

I'm watching my new Oase 600 (replaced an FX6) in hopes that I can depend on them at some point.
After the first of the year I'm going to attempt to build a canister diy from a 5 gallon bucket and in line pump. It'll go on a 150g acrylic i recently bought that has an overflow box at the end. I'll post if it works successfully or not, lol

After the first of the year I'm going to attempt to build a canister diy from a 5 gallon bucket and in line pump. It'll go on a 150g acrylic i recently bought that has an overflow box at the end. I'll post if it works successfully or not, lol

While I suck at DIY, I wish you luck and look forward to your results. You mention your new 150g with an overflow. Would you mind posting a pic?

Qapla, brother! (y)

It had a 30g sump that was cracked and leaking, so I cut it apart and made lids out of the acrylic side panels. I'll build a stand and canopy for it after Christmas JPEG_20201109_155849_8377964438104714656.jpgJPEG_20201109_155913_840495486832957603.jpgJPEG_20201109_155937_256309680224198946.jpg

Great price for that sort of capacity. If I may ask, what sorts of tools are you using to prep that baby, Charlie? I'm looking for a 75g acrylic tall. I'm going to check ebay, which looks to be a smart approach.

I read then used a magic eraser and a plastic putty knife. I haven't addressed the scratches on the back, it was prob marine at one time. I don't know if I'll bother tbh

I admire the DIY expertise this will accrue. You mentioned that you've extracted the overflow? Are you going to reseal the tank seams or will that not be needed? I was expecting that you'd be using tons of power tools and high-tech fluids! :ROFLMAO:

No, sorry, I may have not been clear, I'm gonna try to use the overflow to the big bucket filter, then use the existing pipe back in for outlet. I saw and read where ppl have done it. Pipe in the top of the bucket lid from overflow, then thru the media, to an outflow pipe on the bottom side of the bucket, thru the pump and back in thru the inlet pipe of the overflow. One hole will have to capped off inside the overflow box. It'll work (in theory) similar to an fx6

Back
Top Bottom