Gallons per hour of a sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm a really big fan of air-driven sponge filters and run them on 4 of my 7 tanks (3 as secondary filtration, and one as the sole filter). I'm curious if there's a good way to determine the flow rate of one. I recently ended up with an old tetra luft pump and am running a sponge filter on my 55 with it. The way it agitates the surface I almost think it's moving more water than my HOB's. I'm curious as to the total gph on this tank now- the HOB's alone add up to 490 gph.
Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was always curious about this as well.

I run 2 sponge filters plus 2 HOB marineland penguin 350's on my 75g, and I am positive the sponges are doing the majority of the work.

Although many sponge filter will claim they are usable to an X size aquarium the actuall GPH is ALL on the air pump.
The amount of space for BB is what is limited for the most part by the sponge itself.
If you want more flow get a stronger air pump OR even use a powerhead on top of lift tube from sponge.
I have run my 75 g packed with swordtails(young adults(100+)) completely with only 4 sponges.
It probably could have been only 2?
Water changes and rinsing the sponge is key IMO since they also polish the water better then most common filters.
Enjoy your sponge filters,I sure do!

I've been looking into a sponge filter to supplement my Marineland 350 Magnum canister. I just picked up a 75 gallon tank with the canister, and I believe its a bit under filtered, thinking a nice 70-100 gallon sponge filter would supplement nicely. Also can be pulled out and used as a filter in my 20 long QT tank.

Although many sponge filter will claim they are usable to an X size aquarium the actuall GPH is ALL on the air pump.
The amount of space for BB is what is limited for the most part by the sponge itself.
If you want more flow get a stronger air pump OR even use a powerhead on top of lift tube from sponge.
I have run my 75 g packed with swordtails(young adults(100+)) completely with only 4 sponges.
It probably could have been only 2?
Water changes and rinsing the sponge is key IMO since they also polish the water better then most common filters.
Enjoy your sponge filters,I sure do!

Just curious...what air pumps do you prefer that are quiet?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run alitas that are pretty heavy duty,pretty expensive ,and SILENT!
Alita AL-6A Linear Air Pump
This is the smallest one I have.
I just runs a monster of a protein skimmer for me!
Alita AL-15A Air Pump + 12 Gang Manifold
This one runs 40 sponges on 20+ tanks!
Niether are probably what you want or need.
I really never had a "regular " pump that was even close to quiet.
As crazy as these pumps are they are the most silent air pump I have owned .
The 6a could work for some with larger /deeper tanks IMO .

I run alitas that are pretty heavy duty,pretty expensive ,and SILENT!
Alita AL-6A Linear Air Pump
This is the smallest one I have.
I just runs a monster of a protein skimmer for me!
Alita AL-15A Air Pump + 12 Gang Manifold
This one runs 40 sponges on 20+ tanks!
Niether are probably what you want or need.
I really never had a "regular " pump that was even close to quiet.
As crazy as these pumps are they are the most silent air pump I have owned .
The 6a could work for some with larger /deeper tanks IMO .

I am wanting a solid, quiet, reliable pump. I bet that 6a would work for my 46gallon. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom