Gap Between Tank and Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJunglist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 45 gallon Aqueon ensemble which came with a pine stand. When I set it up, I noticed light coming between the tank and the stand. I have about a 1/16" gap under the back corner which spans the back edge about three inches. Also, there is a very small gap running the central majority of the front edge. I contacted both Aqueon and the shop where I purchased it, and they both say that these gaps will go away once I add water. Every forum post I've read says that adding water to this setup is a terrible idea. Has anyone followed the "fill it with water" advice and seen the gap close? Also, the forums I've read are from people with 90-200 gallon tanks, so does anyone think the situation would be different with a 45 gallon tank?

Add the water and re-evaluate.

After the water is in make sure it is supported around the outer edge and that it is level.

I had the same problem with my 120 gal. And stand. I have a rock floor that looks great, but not level. In order to allow the tank and stand to match up, I had to shim under the stand and level it as close to perfect as possible. It worked. If you have a very slim gap between the tank and stand the water weight will force the binding silicone to stretch and settle. Your tank probably has a plastic frame, designed to distribute the weight to the four corners. As long as the corners are flush, probably no worries.

I shimmed under the stand, and the top rim of the tank is perfectly level. The issue is that the back support of the stand is slightly bowed so that the high point is fairly left of center. The tank sits flush with the right side, but when the connection hits the high point, there is a gap all the way to the back left corner. This gaps spans about three inches, and it also covers about 6 inches of the side. Again, the gap is only 1/16" at the farthest point. I have filled the tank about 1/4 full with no noticeable difference in the gap.

Also, when looking under the tank, there is a one inch length of silicone that has peeled away. This is on the exterior of the tank nowhere near the area that is lifted away from the stand. Aqueon says that there is nothing to be worried about, but it did pull out from under the black trim. Anyone think that this could create an issue?

The loose silicone was likely a result of the tank makers sloppyness. Just a little excess mess. Its whats between the joints that matter. If there is an imperfection in the stand, take a photo of it and send it to the manufacturer. Since you bought the tank new, the warranty will cover an exchange for a new stand. If you sand or otherwise alter the stand, the warranty will be voided. The company rep. Will likely give you a hard time but they will honor the warranty in the end. I believe Aqueon bought out Oceanic, which used to be the top of the line tanks.

I believe Aqueon bought out Oceanic, which used to be the top of the line tanks.
All-Glass purchased Oceanic Systems in the 1990s. Some years later Central Pet & Garden(CPG) purchased All-glass. When they launched the Aqueon brand they moved the all-glass aquariums under that brand. For a time, Coralife, also owned by CPG, was selling aquariums under the Oceanic brand but I am not sure if they still do.

The Oceanic production in the US was eventually shut down and members of the original Oceanic team formed Planet Aquariums and are still making aquariums under that brand name.

Thanks Dalto. I still have my 65 gal. Oceanic. It's been up and running for 19 years, they don't make them like that anymore.

The loose silicone was likely a result of the tank makers sloppyness. Just a little excess mess. Its whats between the joints that matter. If there is an imperfection in the stand, take a photo of it and send it to the manufacturer. Since you bought the tank new, the warranty will cover an exchange for a new stand. If you sand or otherwise alter the stand, the warranty will be voided. The company rep. Will likely give you a hard time but they will honor the warranty in the end. I believe Aqueon bought out Oceanic, which used to be the top of the line tanks.

The weird thing about the silicone on the bottom exterior is that it is spread fairly evenly around the entire perimeter. There is just a one inch piece missing, and that material is still attached and hanging out.

I beleive that you have gathered enough evidence to show that you were sold an inferior product. Before you take any further steps, demand that the warranty be honored and arrange for a replacement.

In an ideal world you would not see any silicone around the bottom exterior of the tank. It should all be hidden by the plastic.

Can you post a pic of the section you are talking about?

I filled the tank to the top this evening, and the gap is still there. I don't know if I should empty it and sand it flat, or just leave it be.

Get a warranty replacement. You paid for the tank to be in proper condition. Manufacturer needs to step up and give you what you paid for. Store should assist you but if not the maker needs to do it.

I filled the tank and let it sit for three days. The gap got smaller, but it is still there. The store where I purchased it from has agreed to exchange the stand. Thank you everyone for the help. I think I'm going to be better off safe than sorry.

This is a univeral problem with Aqueon

It appears this company has gone down hill. " My 38 gallon 2011 model fell apart under its own weight and "broke on the top two plastic pieces" and then leaked out in 2016. The original pump was worthless from Day1.

I now have 40 fish in the same tank living healthy lives with under 40ppm nitrates using the advice I got on this forum ..... and of course I now do weekly water changes.

I ditched the original filter and now use two Fluval C3 HOB filters on the tank.
Good luck to every one else.

I took the tank back to the fish store, and they swapped it out for another setup without the gap. I just added my first few fish today. I didn't get the chance to properly cycle the tank as my wife was tired of looking at its lifelessness. I used a bottle of Safestart, so I hope this stuff lives up to what I've read. So far, I have zero nitrites and zero nitrates with 0.25ppm ammonia. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom