Gate valve leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khmer86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good afternoons all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my leaking gate valve, if it is closed about 60-70% it doesn't leak but if it's opened to about halfway it will start to drip. I was able to remove the screw and the handle but how do you remove the inner piece so I can check and maybe replace the O rings. Replacing the valve is last resort since I just redid my plumbing and due to lack of room to play with it was a pain. Thanks in advance!!! 1484508624947.jpg1484508630215.jpg

No luck as of yet but still looking on how to replace the O rings. Sucks I may have to tear down and redo my plumbing again lol

that don't look like it's going to be fun , how are you planing to block off the water in the line so you can replace the O ring ,
This may be the time to consider replacing it with a ball valve ,

I can turn off the return pump temporarily as if I'm doing a water change but I have yet to find information on how to get into the O ring. Looks like I have to bite the bullet and redo my whole plumbing. I'm a fan of gate valve but a lot of people have been mentioning ball valve and may have to really consider going that route

see that nut looking thing under the valve that should unscrew so you can have access to the O ring
yah ball cocks tend to not wear out as easy

I was thinking that myself too but wasn't sure if it was possible to unscrew and I didn't have any available pvc left if I were to break the valve and have no way to redo my plumbing haha but thanks 54seaweed for that advice I will for sure to do it tomorrow after work and hope for the best

you can wrap a hot rag around it for a few minutes to make the pvc expand a little before you remove it.
when you put it back in put a small dab of petroleum jelly around the threads ,
this will make life easier in the future ,
can't remember if threads on a valve are counter clockwise or clockwise so go slow till you know for sure.

Thanks for that advice, I believe most likely it is counter clockwise for the removal but I'll be careful. Might be wise to go ahead and purchase some pvc and ball valve just in case something goes wrong or broke haha, better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom