GE 100% Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ck85abc3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a question about using silicone in fishtanks. I read on the net before I used silicone inside my fishtank, and it said anything that is 100% silicone.

So I went to wal-mart and bought a bottle of GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant. Problem is that it is not 100% silicone, it has an additive called "con" that is used to protect against mold and mildew.

I have about 1 square inch of this in a 45 gal fish tank. Should I remove this as soon as possible?

i have read in other posts somewhere that you should not use silicone that contains the additives that protect against mold and mildew since it can leach into the water. to be safe, i would use silicone made for aquarium use. to be safe, you could remove it and use silicone made for aquatic use in it's place.

yes, remove it from the tank immediately! You only want to use GE Silicone Type 1 Doors and Windows (and only if it does not have any mildew/mold resistance listed on the label anywhere). That mildew blocker can kill your fish.

I bought the same stuff before, I think on the back it should say not for use in aquariums

It contains mildewCIDE... the suffix "CIDE" or "CYDE" literally means to kill. Do you want to use that? ONLY silicone I is aquarium safe.

Back
Top Bottom