Getting back into the hobby; Saltwater vs Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumNewb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I had fish for quite a while but since i had kids ~6 years ago, i just lost interest/didn't have much time for it and slacked off; ended up selling off my aquarium, etc. Had a 75 plus a few 20 Longs and such and over the years had everything from peacock bass and such to various colored crawfish and dwarf shrimp.
I'm looking to get back into it (i have an awesome spot picked out but would involve moving a wall, which i'm having a contractor friend of mine come look at to find out if its possible with some structural bracing and such), but am not sure where i want to go. I always enjoyed planted freshwater tanks, but for the first time am considering going saltwater; the difficulty has always thrown me off but my understanding is its possible to have simple, easy to handle saltwater setups as well?
I'm looking for something that won't be a significant burden and require TOO much time, but will look great, so i'm thinking saltwater with some coral; nothing crazy high end, basic inexpensive saltwater fish and coral is what i'd be looking at, OR, sticking with what i know; planted freshwater with your typical tetras or somethin'.

For tank size, the spot i have picked out (IF it works) can accommodate a 6' tank, so assuming i can make it work structurally, i'd shoot for a 125 gallon; the 75 was great but i always wanted something a bit bigger. Depth was spot on for a 75, though, so i think the 6' width will be AWESOME. I have a beautiful piece of driftwood a friend of mine gave me years ago that's nice and long that'd work well, too.

Let me know what you guys think! Some links to great sources of information would be cool too; maybe throw some species my way that are easy to handle that are saltwater?

Financially speaking i don't mind spending a bit more on the saltwater setup up front, i do okay. Freshwater would be a standard canister filter setup i think, that's what i've always had and it worked well.

I feel like a properly set up freshwater tank can be just as colorful as saltwater with much less work, but maybe i'm wrong.
Thanks all :)

Back
Top Bottom