Getting started with ro/di system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What psi are you at fort? Mine fills half way up and I was concerned about it when I first purchased my unit but I've read a few places its perfectly normal for the DI canister to only fill partially

70-80 generally. It might just be the design. I don't think the water can leave the DI canister unless it reaches the top on my system.

so does the DI have to fill up before I start getting product water? I've literally only got two drops of product and 10 gallons of waste. is there something with a "flow restrictor"?

pcdebb said:
so does the DI have to fill up before I start getting product water? I've literally only got two drops of product and 10 gallons of waste. is there something with a "flow restrictor"?

Ya there is something wrong you should be getting roughly 3 gallons of product water an hour. Do you know what psi your water is at.

You need a flow restrictor before the membrane or it will all be waste water.

well I guess I dont have any flow restrictors. I've tried everything. I hooked it up to my water hose outside and that was a huge fail., now my carbon block canister seems to not be able to keep water in it. I just dont know what's wrong or what to do. How do I even know?

thanks for all your help. this has just been a colossal fail on every level. I left it on to flow all night, and only got a gallon of product water. my LFS said I can return my filters, tds meter and flow valve thing. I'm just gonna stick with bottled water from the store.

If the only problem is the restricter valve they are cheap to replace. It is just hard to tell without seeing it and I would hate to have you go through the trouble and it still not work properly.

Can you call the guy you bought it from and tell him it doesn't work? Maybe he will refund your money if he is honest.

Well of course the ad is gone, and the number isnt in my call history anymore. I may just put it back on CL and sell it for what I bought it for. Honestly the unit may be fine, i dunno. I dont know what a flow restrictor looks like, i just dont know. water is filling at a snails pace in the di canister, and at times the carbon block canister has trouble keeping water, so maybe there's a leak, where I dont know. it's sitting on my kitchen table (still in one piece for now)

It's just been an extremely frustrating week and this didnt help. maybe i'll revisit it some day, but my frustration with it at this moment is over the top :(

Back
Top Bottom