Glass Aquariums New or Used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've bought all my aquariums used because the prices are high for new.

Is it a bad idea to buy aquariums used? Do you buy them used or new? What do you look for when checking out a possible used aquarium?

How much USD would you pay for a used

10G
20G
30G
50G
75G
90G
125G
180G

if NO other accessories are included.

Thanks!
G

10g $1
20g $10
30g $15
50g $30-$40
75g $70
90g $90
125g $110
180g $150

Just what I would pay for a used one. I now prefer to buy tanks new because you know that it hasn't been used and copper-based meds haven't been used.

10G - Walmart new for $10
20G - $15-20
30G - $25
50/55G - $50
75G -$75
90G - $100-110
125G - $125-150
180G - $150+

Thats pretty much the going prices on craigslist around here.

new 10g's are 10 bucks so about 2-5 bucks for a used one,

basically as long as NO reptile or small mammal was in the tank it should be fine, gotta be water glass though, its a bit thicker then terrarium glass.

make sure it holds water and no cracks, check the sealant corners for nasties and loose sealant.

I paid 200 for a 52g flat back hex with tank top light( nice light cost 140 bucks alont) and 3 filters 1 UGF two aqua clear junk ones, ive since added my own filters.

even a quick smell of the tank will tell you if its ok or not.

to clean a used one just use bleach and a dechlor after the bleach wash. I use straight sodium theosulfate for my bleach cleaning dechlor but even novaqua will work.

Corner aquarium with stand

OK, I'm looking at one now that is a 45G corner aquarium with a nice looking stand and filter (3 year old Whisper 30-60). No lights, no cover.

He is asking for $175 Canadian. It sounds reasonable to me, but I don't know for sure.

What do you think?

175 canadien about what 150 here maybe more not sure .

thats a good chunk of change for a used tank, see if he will take 150.

i would go for 100$. thats a rip for a used tank. i got my 30 gallon with stand and lights for 25$.

its a corner unit though, thats a good price for a more expensive tank then a glass box.

personally i wouldnt buy a big tank with out stand since i wouldnt build one or want to buy one.

anything over 50 gallons can be found here for $1 a gallon with stand for the most part or some times less.

Why even waste your time buying a stand.. If you make a stand yourself, out of 2x4's or 2x6's it can hold over 1000lbs. Unless you know the stand your getting is going to hold the amount you need, i wouldnt risk it. I was going to buy a stand and then i noticed that by paying 20$ for 8 pieces of 2x4 i can build a nice stand that is WAY stronger than any fancy stand out there. Plus, for 10-15$ extra you can put doors on it.. rofl. But then again, some people will pay for anything these days. Just seems to make more sense to go with the stronger, cheaper choice. Also, a single vertical 2x4 can hold up to 1750lbs when braced. Ill take that support over a gaudy stand any day. Not to mention theres plans all over the internet to build a stand out of 2x4's with a budget of 20$

I agree about the 2x4's. The only thing is that this one is going in my living room and I'd like the nice piece of furniture with the storage.

Also, it comes with the aquarium, and he won't split up the pieces.

Thanks for all the comments.
G

Oh, well if your trying to make a statement with the pieace of furniture then by all means buy the nice piece of wood that has a lacquer finish and all. If i was setting it up in a living room or kitchen then i would definitely want it to either match or look nice with the rest of the room. I just have a tank in my room and built a stand out of 2x4's because of the strict budget. But there isnt a doubt in my mind that when i get my own place and i setup another aquarum i will be buying a nice piece of furniture for it as well.

Glad the comments gave you some ideas and some advice!! Have a good time with your tank and stand!

Back
Top Bottom