Glass bending?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Noticed a slight bow in the tank while looking at it from the side. Nothing drastic but It worries me. If this thing breaks I doubt I'll ever be allowed another tank ever again.

Attachments

• image-921818391.jpg
    image-921818391.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 193
I notice it slightly from the pic. Im no expert but it might help to know shat size tank is.

Right sorry. I bought it new as a kit it said it was 32 gallons but it calculates up to 34.5 gallons.

Dimensions are 31.5"x14"x18"

Upon further inspection it seems as though the tank is leaning towards the front a bit more so tomorrow when i do a pwc i'll try moving the tank back a bit to try and even it out.

its on a piece of plywood so would i be able to just push the piece of plywood? I wouldn't be moving the stand or pushing directly on the aquarium.

Get a flat straight item and put it on one side of the bow - how far off the glass is it from the other side?

Camera photo's can be misleading because of a phonemna called Barrel roll - Round lenses turns squares with straight lights into slightly curved lines - more noticeable at the edges of the photo.

Not much. The tank is aporximately 13'' 3/4 in width but with the bow it measures 14'' (measured from the top).

1/4 an inch isn't a heck of a lot. Its slightly worrying - but not horrible.

However if the tank isn't level, there's more stress on the tank than needs to be there.

Tanks of that size all bow, unless extra thick glass was used. As an example, most 36" long 35s are made with 1/4" glass and they all bow. It is normal.

Tanks of that size all bow, unless extra thick glass was used. As an example, most 36" long 35s are made with 1/4" glass and they all bow. It is normal.

Oh ok thanks that made me feel a little bit better lol

Ok so just to clarify the bowing is normal and i shouldn't be worried about it? I really couldn't do much as for moving the tank and i see know differences in water line as far as levelling goes. When i first set up the tank it was pretty much level so it could just be my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom