Glass Scratches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any good ways to get scratches inside the aquarium out of glass? They're quite fine, hardly feel them on the inside but there's one or two that my fingernail can catch in. I'm guessing those are there for good? What's the best way to remove the smaller ones? Does anyone have expierence with this whole toothpaste method?

29 Gallon Community

I also am interested in this question. From what I read when researching was that the best bet is using Cerium Oxide and a buffing pad. But it sounded like it required quite a bit of time and patience, not to mention paying for the stuff. And with that you still weren't guaranteed anything, especially with heavier scratches. However, information was pretty sparse so this is mostly inference and hearsay.

My old tank was pretty heavily beat up, and without finding any "miracle cure" I decided to scratch (heh) the refurbishing idea (for now) and just bought a new tank.

Are there any good ways to get scratches inside the aquarium out of glass? They're quite fine, hardly feel them on the inside but there's one or two that my fingernail can catch in. I'm guessing those are there for good? What's the best way to remove the smaller ones? Does anyone have expierence with this whole toothpaste method?

29 Gallon Community

I have looked into removing some scratches from my glass tank. ( Bought it used )

After quite a bit of research, most sites who sell the buffing products state that if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, it's there for good. I ended my quest and decided it was not worth it.

Depending where the scratches are located, the amount of work will be pretty extensive. ( draining the tank below the scratch, etc )

Back
Top Bottom