Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glass vs. Acrylic Glass for 75 Gallon Tank

Hi everyone,

I want to ask everyone's opinion regarding buying a new tank. I am planning to buy a 75 gallon tank. At first, I was shooting for 55G. But after some research, I realized that 75G maybe better. Anyways, all I care is not the depth, but rather the width/length. This aquarium will be for (majorly) bottom feeders and invertebrates. In addition, I am planning to step my level in aquatic plants (I got challenged from previous thread). Besides my current plants, I am planning to have some hard-care level plants (please give me some ideas - list).

Now that I have figured out the aquarium size, I am in the dilemma of the material. At first, I was looking for Aqueon aquariums and stands in Petsmart. However, after few research, I discovered that large aquariums made of glass tend to be prone to leak. This make sense since larger water means larger mass/force and silicone is the only sealing material. In addition, the stand material/wood is not to my liking (seems too weak). DIY stand will be impossible for me since I do not have any necessary tools/equipment.

Moreover, I started looking at acrylic tanks and stands. I almost made up my mind buying one with stand as a set. However, I backed out due to its prone to scratches. I mean, I am a careful person. But I will have few problems with acrylic. First, there is a higher chance that I will be moving few instances in a year (due to work). Second, I have nerite snails. I have seen these guys scratch a PVC pipe. Imagine what they can do in acrylic tank.

Now, I don't know what to do. I may probably willing to pay up to $1000 max (hopefully less) for a tank with cover (and lighting) and stand. However, I just don't know what and where to buy. And guess what? I will be moving in few weeks.

Any suggestion, comment or opinion?

Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

At the 75g size I would buy glass tank. It will be a lot cheaper as it is a very standard size.

While glass tanks are certainly capable of leaking, I would not say they are prone to leaking. I would be the number of leaky 75g tanks compared to the total number of 75g tanks in existence is a pretty small percentage.

If you are moving in a few weeks I would just wait. Moving a tank is a pain, don't do it if you don't have to.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glass really only leaks when it's not properly seated or the stand is tweaked. If you inspect the silicone on the tank and get a suitable stand, assemble and position perfectly flat and level you'll be good. Acrylic is nice. Just way more money. If you wanted a custom shape or dimension than acrylic, for a standard 75? Aqueon glass.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Okay, it seems like that I will go with the glass. By the way, do you recommend buying the stand as well from Petsmart? The material is very weak (compressed fiber wood). I am thinking of buying a furniture. What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my 120 gallon marineland tank and stand at petsmart for $300. It was on sale. The tank is well made. The manufacturer noted that their tanks are constructed with 2x the amount of silicone required. "What ever that means". Apparently the stand was put together at the factory, it had a quality inspection sticker attached.
The stand is particle board, but is obviously very sturdy, it's holding up approx. 1300 - 1500 lbs
It's been set up 8 months with no problems. As long as particle board is not exposed to long term contact with water it's fine.
The manufacturer did make several cosmetic mistakes, irregular cut hose holes and some mis-drilled hardware screw holes. For 300 bucks, I can live with it.
The point is, petsmart's particle board stands are strong enough to do the job, but given a choice I'd rather have solid wood.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will say this about larger glass tanks.

My grandmother had the 75g that I'm now using over twelve years ago. It then sat in her garage for a few years. And now I've been using it for nearly three years. It has never leaked or given me issues.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The most important thing about the stand on a glass tank is that it support the outer edges and be level. Most companies only guarantee their tanks when used with their stands.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 2nd most important thing with the pressed board stands. Make sure they are assembled perfectly, if the screws are over torqued than they are basically wood pegs without glue. Best to assemble yourself with a hand driver and use some loctite adhesive everywhere for added strength.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, 75 gallon tank, acrylic, gallon, glass, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com