Good cheap filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon tank that currently has a Tetra Whisper 10i filter. I've had it since November-ish. This filter is always clogged. More water goes over the sides than through the cartridge. I've swished the cartridge and scrubber thing a million times. I've resorted to scrubbing them in tap water to unclog them. I can't get it. I can't even scrape the gunk off with a paper towel. What is a good filter I can get that isn't real expensive? I would be an unemployed college student is the reason for price restriction.

Before you buy a new filter, take the cartridge completely out and stuff polyfill stuffing in there and try that. Works like a charm and is super cheap!

Yea, it is the stuff you buy to put in pillows. It is pretty much what filter cartridges are made of minus carbon. Just make sure it is 100% poly and no flame retardent. Super cheap!!!

They'll usually have it at your LFS in a corner. Look for a plastic bag filled with white fluffy stuff.

I always use Fluval filters. Granted, I overkill it. My 6 gallon tanks all have Fluval 105 or 106 canister filters. Fluval makes a couple of small internal filters (U1, U2, U3 models) that are 20 or 30 dollars. I can't vouch for those particular models, but I have never had an issue with Fluval filters.

Cheaper at walmart or a craft store. But it is awesome stuff! Water polishing pads cost a fortune and its the same stuff.

In mine I use polyfil stuffed in and on top a lava rock to house my BB.

It will hold bb. I don't think it is very effective at it. Not nearly as much surface area as there is in your filter media or sponge foam. You just need to exchange it once it is soiled badly, not that often. You should be able to rinse it in tankwater and put the same piece back in. If it becomes soiled enough that you want to change it. You can rip it in half and just change out a portion of it so you don't lose all the bb from it.

You are using this to assist in mechanical filtration. You still need to use the other filter media.

for example, I use a layer of poly foam(mechanical filtration), a layer of activated carbon(chemical filtration), and then a layer of biorings or sponge foam(bb).

Then why was I told to take the cartridge out and use polyfill instead? I'm confused. If it won't help my filter problem, why should I put it in? I might as well just get a whole new cartridge and try that.

I wouldn't take out the other filter media, just add this. It will do most of the mechanical filtration and is easy and cheap to replace. Leaving your regular filter media clean. So that can do it's job with the bb and chemical filtration.

I have the same Whisper filter. I took a pair of knee high stockings you get at the department store for .33 cents and pulled it over the bottom of the filter. It traps some of the bigger stuff before it can clog the inside filter. Helps a lot and cheap. You can get a small HOB power filter online for $11-$15. I order from this place Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon QuietFlow Power Filters. A link to a cheap HOB is in the link. I like how quiet my Whisper Internal filter was but it really didn't filter much. I did buy a Whisper HOB but it was really noisy and I replaced it with an Aquaclear50. The Whisper40 HOB filtered great and was cheap, $16 but I could never get it to quieten down. The only way I could limit the noise was to feed my CO2 into the intake pipe. No idea why this quietened it some but it worked.

If you are only using the crappy filter cartridge that comes with it, you can take it out. I haven't used any in years. Def get some bio rings or lava rock too. It all holds bb. Those cartridges are crap IMO

Mine just doesn't cut it anymore. It's quiet. I have it hanging on the back of the tank. I'm just tired of fighting with it trying to make it filter. I might have to get a new cartridge for it to work right.

Whatever you do PLEASE do not waste your money on aqueon quiet flow filters! Of anything buy a aquaclear or some other hob filter just not aqueon. They have poorly designed their filters and I am disappointed in my aqueon 10-20

Back
Top Bottom