Good deal????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh im sorry! Ill just tell you what he wrote, he said that he would give me

30 gallon aquarium
Protein skimmer
Hang on filter
2 t5 lights
Live sand
Stand!

Asked over 300 dollars before but he would drop it to 250... Is this a good deal???

30 gallon tanks are usually around $75-$100 depending on where you go. The stand is probably worth another $100. Protein skimmers, again, depending on where you go and the size, another $100. T5 lights, if they are regular T-5s and not H0, they can run around $50 a piece. Filters are pretty cheap, so thats about 50-75 dollars depending on the brand. Im not sure how much the sand goes for, but at any rate...

All the aforementioned stuff probably cost about $400-$500, so its a pretty decent asking price, particularly if you get it for $250.

I would have to say it sounds legit. Alot depends on the skimmer and lights of course but thats a pretty decent price in my opinion. Cost me alot more to setup my 29g tank. :)

I would have to say it sounds legit. Alot depends on the skimmer and lights of course but thats a pretty decent price in my opinion. Cost me alot more to setup my 29g tank. :)

I know how you feel... Im at almost $400 for my 46 gallon bow front.... and all I have is the tank, the stand, an aqua clear 70, 60lbs of eco complete, and some red slate. Still need to get a heater, and the T5 fixture, and the plants, and the fish.... XD

Seriously. It does sound like a good deal. I would just check to make sure everything runs properly!

Really? He told me that the lights were very good and would sustain any corals... He seemed to be pretty experienced in salt water reef tanks because hes upgrading to a 200 gal or something like that! Thanks guys i hope the filter is good... Hang on filter? Should i ask him what type?

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

Is it 2 T5 lights or 2 T5 bulbs? 2 bulbs is a decent start, but don't expect to keep any demanding corals. He's wrong in telling you that those lights can sustain anything.

I'd suggest finding out brand names and models of all the equipment. If he can't tell you I'd be wary. If it's nice quality equipment it could be worth the asking price. If it's a Jebo light and a Seaclone, I'd say no way.

Also, at that price, I would want to see some live rock thrown in with the deal.

I probably would, but even if the filter isn't ideal, you can always buy a different one. Even without the filter included, thats still a pretty good price, IMO.

Id make sure the lights are T5 high outputs if he is saying they can sustain coral... I may not know alot about salt water, but I do know you need some pretty fancy lighting!

I looked at the picture an it looks like 2 double bulb t5 lights under one hood..with a built in led moon light.... Sorry i am not the reef expert :/

I'd get the info severum asked you for. I think you haven't gotten a yes or no because you haven't answered yet ;)

I'd suggest finding out brand names and models of all the equipment. If he can't tell you I'd be wary. If it's nice quality equipment it could be worth the asking price. If it's a Jebo light and a Seaclone, I'd say no way.

Also, at that price, I would want to see some live rock thrown in with the deal.

Oh well he said it was an aqua life light.. Not sure if thats good or bad, and he is using all of his livw rock in his big tank

Other people have been telling me this is a bad deal, but things are expensive
In so cal, i think its a good deal here, but maybe not somewhere els...

Considering that you can get a 29g tank for $29 at petco when they do their sale, $30-40 when they're not... who knows what brand skimmer and filter... the light is expensive, but easily found cheaper elsewhere.... I'd say you could piece together a new setup for about the same. Unless it has a good quality filter and skimmer, I'd pass on it. $150 is as much as I'd pay for something like that, provided the filter and skimmer were of decent quality. If they're not giving you brand names, that raises a red flag IMO

Haha thanks alot! Well i would definitly need a stand, so that alone is at least 100. Also i am going to check it out this weekend, so i will give you guys all of the details! What is a good type of skimmer? The filter is a rena

If it's an aquatic life light then it's a good light. The skimmer I think if you look at it you can tell if it's a good one. Seaclones are cheap so if it's one of them its not super.

Back
Top Bottom