Good Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaw1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for some good LED lights that are pretty cheap. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, what were you looking to use them for? Also any details on tank (e.g. depth, etc) may be useful.

Just to light up my tank but I want white lights that are bright, and maybe a few plants in there the tank is 12x12x30

That's appears to be a 20g long. A 30" Finnex StingRay is a nice, inexpensive LED fixture. Probably okay for low light plants at best.

I'm using this. It comes with one bulb and I added a second "beauty max" for a good color range. The hood is set up for 2 bulbs but they just give you one. So you spend more $$ on the second bulb.

http://youtu.be/d5exK6JWRPc

You can get a cheap, unbranded, Chinese made light on eBay, I use several of them for low tech tanks just fine, they grow low light plants fine too just aim for a 6500k light over a 10000k if you are interested in getting live plants though.

Aliexpress is cheap as chips but delivery is about 3 weeks or so.

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Aqueon leds have been ok for my plants the are low light.

My hubbie is looking for gift ideas for Christmas and I'm thinking about upgrading my lights. Nothing in the supernova light range. Something that's a good solid mid level. Or at least with controls to manage the light level.

I have read about the Current Satellite Pro series.
Any reviews or other suggestions?

Please keep in mid I keep a top on my tank to keep my critters in. So the light will be shining through glass.

How will that impact?

Last edited by a moderator:
What size tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the 30" Finnex Planted+. Adjustable intensity. 24/7 mode is pretty cool. $86 on amazon (prime).
It can rest directly on the glass canopy. Or use the legs (with no glass canopy... usually can't have both at the same time).

Yah, I'd go with the 247.

Has there been any use of the LED hydroponic style lights that you can use from a simple light socket? I use them for my ats and orchids with success. Very red and horrid to look at though.

Has there been any use of the LED hydroponic style lights that you can use from a simple light socket? I use them for my ats and orchids with success. Very red and horrid to look at though.

They're too red for a primary light source. I've seen them used as a secondary light. A par 38 bulb??think that's a sw style bulb, and even a a while row of reds which looked stellar over a row of red plants. Gives them almost a cartoon look.

I have tried these in a box unit and still have the light somewhere. PAR wise the light spread looked very good when I measured in tank but to the eye has a very red colour which is hard to adjust to. Was impressive from memory on much blue light there was still in there though. PAR reading was really high - pumped out a lot of light.

PAR readings were too high sitting on tank and it would of worked better hung from the ceiling. Since I'm not allowed to do that :( and it's not dimmable, I've swapped it out (expensive hobby!).

At the time I didn't have good CO2 injection so plants grew ok but not great. BBA ran amok on any dark gravel.

I found that with a cheap LED white light in front of it that the red colour got toned down a bit.

Now happier with quad T5HO's and backup LED strip light. In the T5HO I run 2 pink bulbs.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stick with LED. Our summers are hot and it's hard to keep the tank cool running fluorescent lights.

The Finnex seems to be the favorite. I need to "hint" to my sweetie soon so he can order, ship and wrap it for a surprise under the tree.

Back
Top Bottom