Good Powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you want the best and have money go for tunze streams !
if not go with 3-4 maxi-jet 1200 would work great :)

wonder something !!!
maxi-jet 1200 run 295 gph @ 20 watts
and the cheapest tunze $127 does 1600 gph @ 11 watts

so how long would it take paying the higher electric bill on a few maxi-jets to equal the price of a tunze? food for thought :)

i sugest some POWERSWEEP powerheads. they are not very expensive and they rotate on their own. They are like wave maker+power head. i would say 4 of the small ones or 2 of the large ones and a small. They work great on my 75. :)

Look at the top of the page. for the calc link...

first-timer, how long have you had those powersweeps? When I have tried them they worked for a short period and then just stopped sweeping. Takeing it apart and cleaning only helped for a short time.

sweet never new that was there duhhhhh

ok so one maxi-jet 1200 running 24/7 @ .10 a kilowatt not sure my price just used default will cost 17.28 a year (not as bad as i thought it would be )
a tunze would be $9.50 a year for 1600 gpr
so to keep up with one tunze ya would need 5.4 maxi-jets which would cost $86 a year to run 5 pumps !
$128 for tunze + 9.50 in elect = 137.50
5 maxi @ $18 each =90 pluss elec @ 86.40 for 5 pumps a year = $176.40

so you will save money in the long run very very cool to know !!

True but the tunze is 1600gph from one source making current in 1 direction. Onl if you put 5 maxijets all side by side and on top of eachother would you get the same effect so to speak. WIth 5 maxijets scattered about the tank you get the equivlent GPH flow in total but you get it from different directions making things more random.

I have not had them too long but they are very easy to take apart. I can take them apart and put them together in less than 5 minutes. I feel they are more than worth it.

If they stop sweeping next time just unplug it for a little while. Most times it's just a bit of substrate caught in the works and the force of the flow is keeping it suspended. Once the flow is off, the sediment is often released and will fall free. Once started up again it is usually blown clear. I almost never need to remove mine except to clean the sponge prefilter and soak for coralline removal. Been using them for years.

Cheers
Steve

Re Maxijets - compare the wattage flow of the 900s to the 1200s and the 900s appear to be much more efficient. (That said, I run 1200s myself...)

Re Powersweeps - these just simply do not work over time. They might run for awhile but they will quit sweeping - its just a question of when. Also they are very large / bulky compared to the MJ and more expensive. I have 2 of the 228s and I can't give them away.

As to how many you need? 65x10 = 650gph total. 1300gph even better. :mrgreen:

I'll take your powersweeps! I have one and no problems so far. They are quite a simple piece of equipment so I don't think getting them to sweep again would be that hard. I guess I'll find out when mine stops

Nate C said:
Re Powersweeps - these just simply do not work over time. They might run for awhile but they will quit sweeping - its just a question of when. Also they are very large / bulky compared to the MJ and more expensive.
Agreed the 228's are a bit bulky but I do have to disagree with your take on the durability of the powerhead as a whole. I have been using them for many years without issue.

I have 2 of the 228s and I can't give them away.
You haven't asked the right people :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Fair enough _ :)

Perhaps I got a bad batch (or two...)

Edmonton - PM me your addy and $10 for postage and you can have 'em.

Nate C

Back
Top Bottom