Good Thermoneter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for a good thermometer. Any recommendations? I bought one of those cheap stick on strip ones and it's so hard to read without shining a flashlight on it.

Rich - Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at variety of those and they seem to all have the same problem. They all have such a high range of values that my relevant section (70 - 80 F) is compressed and hard to distinguish. I really wish they would make these with smaller ranges, so they could be more precise to the "fish ranges"

HUKIT, after some deliberation, I decided to pick this up. I have it down by my sump area, so its out of sight, but still easy to access. So far, very satisfied with my purchase.

38387-albums1719-picture13038.jpg

Now for the real headache - When I ripped on the old thermometer strip, it left the entire backing and adhesive residue to my tank. This is going to take forever to clean.

5x5 said:
Now for the real headache - When I ripped on the old thermometer strip, it left the entire backing and adhesive residue to my tank. This is going to take forever to clean.

If by any chance you really can't get that stuff off, try using Goo Gone (they sell it at most supermarkets). You just put some on and leave it for about 5 min. It's worked wonders for me. Just be super careful to not get any in your tank, and use as little as possible.

Patterson - Thanks, but one minor problem with that idea. I misunderstood the original thermometer instructions and stuck in on the inside of the tank. So I actually will try to remove it tonight when I do a PWC. Based on where it is, I don't think any helper chemicals would be a good idea. I suppose I'll just have to use a razorblade or my fingernail and try not to stratch the glass.

HUKIT - I wouldn't call that being lazy. I don't think knowing the temperature should require a lot of work.

Lets just be glad we don't need the API kit to take the temperature. 10 drops of bottle 1, shake for 30 seconds, then bottle 2 and it turns some indescript color between orange and brown....

HUKIT - I wouldn't call that being lazy. I don't think knowing the temperature should require a lot of work.

Lets just be glad we don't need the API kit to take the temperature. 10 drops of bottle 1, shake for 30 seconds, then bottle 2 and it turns some indescript color between orange and brown....

If that were the case they would freeze or cook since I don't use that either, it's been six months or more since I broke out the API kit.

If by any chance you really can't get that stuff off, try using Goo Gone (they sell it at most supermarkets). You just put some on and leave it for about 5 min. It's worked wonders for me. Just be super careful to not get any in your tank, and use as little as possible.

And whatever you do, don't let your Mother come over and clean anything with your TV microfiber cloths using Goo Gone and then place the used microfiber back in pile with clean ones :banghead:

Does wonders for LCD screens..

Back
Top Bottom