Good way to remove organic waste / detritus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigel95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thought I should post it here as in my journal I don't reach everyone.

IMO this is a very simple, cheap but effective method to keep the tank clean as possible. To much can organic waste can trigger algae like BBA (which we all hate don't we).

Items needed:
Turkey baster
Hose (I use a 9/12 hose but any can work tbh)
Zip ties (to connect the turkey baster to the hose)

See the video how it works :)

Hello Nigel...

This seems like quite a bit of work to me. I have heavily planted tanks that include very large Aglaonema house plants. I depend on the dissolving organic waste material to fertilize my plants. If I remove it, I remove nutrients. Everything you put into the tank water is constantly dissolving, so by simply performing a large water change every week, I remove any nutrients the plants and fish haven't used. The water chemistry stays steady and the algae never gets out of control.

B

Hello Nigel...

This seems like quite a bit of work to me. I have heavily planted tanks that include very large Aglaonema house plants. I depend on the dissolving organic waste material to fertilize my plants. If I remove it, I remove nutrients. Everything you put into the tank water is constantly dissolving, so by simply performing a large water change every week, I remove any nutrients the plants and fish haven't used. The water chemistry stays steady and the algae never gets out of control.

B

When running a heavily planted tank I understand if you don't wanna do this. But when running very low plantmass aquascapes like me with high light, cleanliness becomes extremely important. I don't care about removing this nutrients. I rely on my water column dosing and the aqua soil. There are multiple methods to get the job done but this method works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom