Got a new canister filter 3 stage was wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefpete

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would be a good setup for this filter with 3 compartments.

Carbon, Ceramic Rings, and sponge?

Any ideas or people that have a 3 stage please give me your input.

Thanks folks!!

Don't bother with carbon. You only need it if you are treating your tank and need to remove meds. Just throw in some floss or more sponge imo.

Don't bother with carbon. You only need it if you are treating your tank and need to remove meds. Just throw in some floss or more sponge imo.

So you really dont need carbon in my DT? Thats pretty cool never knew that...whats the other stuff you speak of? like what would remove the partilces that carbon does?

I was just going to start a thread about this, but I think I might just lurk here! :)

I had planned on putting Bio-Max rings in my bottom basket, but for the others im not so sure. What filter did you end up getting?

So you really dont need carbon in my DT? Thats pretty cool never knew that...whats the other stuff you speak of? like what would remove the partilces that carbon does?

Nope you are just wasting the carbon for normal usage. here's a couple of examples of what you can use:

Filter floss: Amazon.com: Big Al's Filter Floss-20 Sq.Ft: Home & Kitchen

or Pond Filter Media: Pond Filter Media 12" Wide x 10 Feet Long x 1.5" Thick (Blue/White): Amazon.com: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Reefpete said:

The inert ceramic rings help remove the particles; that and the sponges. The Bio-Max rings is where the beneficial bacteria (BB) grows.

Carbon is used to remove ammonia mainly, and ammonia is what your beneficial bacteria feed off of, so a bit counter productive. You really only want it to remove the meds while treating a sick tank.

What Canister did you get, and what size tank?

Thanks guys for all the info now i have a better understanding as i never had a canister filter....

I got a cf300 from truaqua.com which is rated for 264gph and its going on my 20 gal long nano

now on the stages which would go where...im sure my fitler is water goes down first and then in filtered up...so what stage would be what?

I was just going to start a thread about this, but I think I might just lurk here! :)

I had planned on putting Bio-Max rings in my bottom basket, but for the others im not so sure. What filter did you end up getting?

Yea i want some good info before i set it up coming in mail today UPS excited for this one because im going to go sumpless on this nano .....

I got the TRUAQUA.COM CF300 was on sale for an unbelievable price of $49.00

I would guess sponge, rings, then floss/pond filter, but I'm not really sure, I haven't gotten a canister yet. Nice price u got.

Dang that's an amazing price! I picked up a fluval fx5 for my 120 gallon tank. I got it almost 2 weeks ago, but issues have kept me from setting it up. That sucker was 250 bucks.

Im wondering how you cut the pool filter media to fit?

You usually want the rings to go in the basket that is filtered last, so it gets the cleanest water. I know that much at least!

Yea check the site out guys TRUAQUA.COM im going to be shopping there for a lot of my stuff from now on...GOt a dual lcd display heater 100w for 20 bucks!!! and they are great with fixing issues and repairs or warranty service unbelievable im glad i ran into them

Dang that's an amazing price! I picked up a fluval fx5 for my 120 gallon tank. I got it almost 2 weeks ago, but issues have kept me from setting it up. That sucker was 250 bucks.

LOL when i saw the price i almost ordered two of them lol....i looked and they are over 100 on ebay and 90 bucks on amazon this site has everything you need also...

WWW.TRUAQUA.COM

and the canister i got has the self priming pump ....if you go up a notch to the cf400 or cf500 it comes with a built in uv light in the filter amazing!!

return and go to truaqua.com if you still can ....what kind of issues you having with it??? thats quite a bit i feel you pain...

Water filters from bottom to top. The best part of canisters are that you can customize to whatever you want. A normal mix is:
Bottom - Mechanical: a coarse pad &/or ceramic noodles &/or pot scrubbies;
Middle - Bio: bio balls, ceramic balls, lava rock;
Top - Polishing: Bonded filter pad &/or filter floss.

Reefpete said:
return and go to truaqua.com if you still can ....what kind of issues you having with it??? thats quite a bit i feel you pain...

No problems with the filter thank goodness! Just problems with the location the tank is getting set up in. Since it's going to be in a garage, I have to make sure everything is right!

And I will check out that site thanks! Im looking for high lights to grow plants at the bottom of this tank, and its really deep.

Water filters from bottom to top. The best part of canisters are that you can customize to whatever you want. A normal mix is:
Bottom - Mechanical: a coarse pad &/or ceramic noodles &/or pot scrubbies;
Middle - Bio: bio balls, ceramic balls, lava rock;
Top - Polishing: Bonded filter pad &/or filter floss.

Awesome thanks a lot for the info and help

Back
Top Bottom