got some used stuffokay, My neighbor got a new upgraded tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay, My neighbor got a new upgraded tank for Christmas and he let me just have he old stuff. It is a 170g tank with stand ( I am not keeping the tank and stand). There is a wet/ dry filter by miracle. From what I can see it has everything but a return pump. I also am not sure that the overflow is complete. All I see so far is the u shaped thing. There is a protein skimmer that has some connecting hoses coming out of it but, I dont see any electrical outlet. I guess it runs off the wet/dry return pump some how. There is two strips of lighting by JBJ, Which are working great. I need to replace the blue lights. Are any of you familiar with this filter and equitment? How do you recommend that I clean this stuff? Is there a web site that can tell me how to put this thing together?
I currently have a 125g tank with 100lbs of lr and a protein skimmer called pro-prizm that is supposed to skim up to 300g. I have read some negative things about this skimmer. ( after I purchased it of course). It seems to be doing okay so far but it is kinda noisey and I have to adjust it slot. I just have average lighting. My new lights are a whole lot brighter. My tank was a freshwater tank that I converted.
Thanxs so much for any help you can give me

Tmkx3

I'd suggest using the wet/dry as a sump, but not as origionally intended. If you can't find all the parts of the overflow, go get one and save yourself some headaches. There should be the U-tube, and the part that hangs over the edge of the aquarium, with a slotted intake on one side, and a bulkhead for plumming to connect on the other side.

It seems likely that your neighbor hung onto the pump for the skimmer. If you can't identify the brand and model, check out Skimmer Design 101 to try to figure out what size pump you need for it.

The two best cleaning methods for aquariums are vinegar and or salt scrub. Rinse well after either treatment.

Why arn't you going to use the larger tank and stand?

I think your right about using it as a sump.I am going to replace the bio-balls with lr rubble. I found a web site for amiracle and I will get a new overflow and whatever else I need from them. I am not going to use the bigger tank because it is 7foot long and I just don't have the room for that long of a tank. The tank I have now is 6 feet and with my other furnishing I am wall to wall. Also The previous owner had a problem with the center brace on the stand breaking. He said that he fixed it but the stand doesn't look that sturdy to me. My kids are having a fit because they want an Oscar tank but I will be the one taking care of it Lol.
I am going to give it to a friend of mine who doesn't have a tank. They can put an Oscar in her tank :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom