graVEL VACUUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
SO i bought the vacuum gravel kit and it will not work.
In mi mechanical experiance it looks like a simple venturi
how mucf watr psi is required on a scale from 1 to 10 1 being not much 10 being alot?

PSI? Maybe 1 or 2 would be my guesstimate.

There are 3 ways to get a gravel vac syphoning that I know of.

There should be a flapper valve that as you have the tube in the tank water rock it forwards and backwards (horizontally) it fills the hose to get the syphon going.

The next way is to dip the tube into the water and fill it, with a hand ready to plug the drain end of the hose, raise the tube up (vertically) until the hose is filled then stop the flow with your thumb before the tube empties. Put the tube back into the water till the tube is full of water, then let go of the drain end with your thumb and it should just start to flow.

The last way can be the nastiest if you aren't quick lol. Put the tube in the tank, fill it with water, then create a vacuum by sucking on the drain end of the hose until water is flowing.

Mr. Limpet said:
PSI? Maybe 1 or 2 would be my guesstimate.

There are 3 ways to get a gravel vac syphoning that I know of.

There should be a flapper valve that as you have the tube in the tank water rock it forwards and backwards (horizontally) it fills the hose to get the syphon going.

The next way is to dip the tube into the water and fill it, with a hand ready to plug the drain end of the hose, raise the tube up (vertically) until the hose is filled then stop the flow with your thumb before the tube empties. Put the tube back into the water till the tube is full of water, then let go of the drain end with your thumb and it should just start to flow.

The last way can be the nastiest if you aren't quick lol. Put the tube in the tank, fill it with water, then create a vacuum by sucking on the drain end of the hose until water is flowing.

And try not to get a mouth full!

or I was told to start filling the tank to get it full of water then drain. Fortunatly mine goes right down stairs to the drain or outside to the garden and plants, so I dont have to use water. I just do as Mr. Limpet says and invert the cleaning tube and fill with water and lift till it releases a ton of bubbles and starts to siphon. Once you get it working its an awesome investment!! I had to break my hand to get my other half to let me invest in it! I designed a hose from down stairs to pump water to buckets and used a powerhead and hoses to pump water from that into tank. Not the greatest or by far best looking but worked for me with what I had laying around (y)

or I was told to start filling the tank to get it full of water then drain. Fortunatly mine goes right down stairs to the drain or outside to the garden and plants, so I dont have to use water. I just do as Mr. Limpet says and invert the cleaning tube and fill with water and lift till it releases a ton of bubbles and starts to siphon. Once you get it working its an awesome investment!! I had to break my hand to get my other half to let me invest in it! I designed a hose from down stairs to pump water to buckets and used a powerhead and hoses to pump water from that into tank. Not the greatest or by far best looking but worked for me with what I had laying around (y)

I figure out a way to get it down stairs from my dining room deck. An oversized gutter catch bin and down spout into a 20g can. Works like a champ, may even patent it lol.

i got it . I only needed about 10' so I cut the rest off

I figure out a way to get it down stairs from my dining room deck. An oversized gutter catch bin and down spout into a 20g can. Works like a champ, may even patent it lol.
recycle :) my garden and plants thrive on my fish water....lol i used to just siphone the bottom into buckets then put a hose and screen thing i made in tank. This is much better :)

cant get list of aquarium under mi post like signatures

Back
Top Bottom