Gravel Vacuum Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clare

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, All....

I am hoping that you all can give me some advice... I have a f/w 100G hex that is 36 inches deep and the standard suction gravel vac just does not have the power to lift up the majority of the debris off the top of the sandy substrate due to the depth of the tank versus the distance to the floor and my bucket. (The tank sits on a base that is about 25 inches high, putting the whole set-up at 61 inches high.)

Did a search and found something called a Super Siphon - anyone have any experience with it? Or perhaps another suggestion on what I can use? Here's the link: Aquarium Gravel Vacuum

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.......I have attached a photo of the tank as well.

Cheers,
Clare

You need to get a python, or some off brand version of it. It hooks to your sink, twist it one way, it sucks water in and you can do your gravel vac... twist it the other way, and it fills the tank back up.

I hate hex tanks, but you've done a very good job with yours.

Thanks, Jonathan - a Python just might be the answer but the tank is located pretty far from a sink - I will look into it.

I appreciate your comment on hex tanks. If I had know then what I know now, I more than likely would not have set ip up LOL but it was free, including an Eheim Pro II pump, and it is pretty tho a lot of work to maintain.

Thanks again!
Clare

Looking at what you linked, thats kind of similar to how a python works. I never leave mine connected to the sink when I'm draining, as it just wastes water IMO... I run mine out a window in the spring/summer/fall, and in to the bathtub in the winter. Still gives me plenty of suction. I do fill with the sink though.

Length from the sink shouldn't be a problem. They make extensions, but you can also just buy the same tubing from lowes or home depot for next to nothing, and you can get it as long as you need it.

Thanks, Jonathan - looks like the python is the way to go......I have a bathroom sink about 1/2 the house away from the tank so I'll give it a go and drain it out the window near the tank....appreciate your response.

Cheers,
Clare

Back
Top Bottom