green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickers450

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys..i am a beginner in this field..i was just wondering how to get rid of the green water in my tank..im on my 3rd week of cycling..i've read that UV sterilizer would fix my problem..what do you guys think?

If you're cycling, keep the light off. The ammonia you've got in the tank is fertilizer for plants. Add light into that and you've got a perfect mix for an algae explosion. To get rid of the green water, wrap the tank in a blanket or a black garbage bag for a week.

water changes will not remove green water. they will just make it worse. a UV sterilizer will fix the problem, but as stated it can be a pricey component. shutting out all light for an extended period is your best bet, unless of course you plan on implementing a UV sterilizer anyway.

The fish r fun - The green killing machine is an awesome internal uv. It's cheap and very effective. I brought one four days ago because I can't cut the light to my tank any more and the water had a green tinge and within four days the water has become the clearest I've ever seen. I'd recommend it to anyone, it's remove able so you can just use it as and when. Well worth looking at!

Back
Top Bottom