Ground probes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
The other day Steve put up an article that said that you should not use ground probes. After looking on the internet all night I see the articles running about 50-50 either way. I dont count the ones that are selling them because they are just trying to make a profit. When you read these article,everybody is so sincere. But somebody has to be sincerely wrong.
I just want to know do you use one and what is your experience with them. I understand the part about if you have faulty wiring that it will protect you from being zapped but what does it do for stray electricity. I`ve been using one for eight years with no ill effects that I can tell. I just want whats best for my tank. Let me know.Thanks

I started that thread and do not use one. I asked because I was thinking about getting one. I will not get one unless someone post something really good in support of it. On separate note steve has never steered me wrong and he has been asked to drive a lot.

i'm really no expert at all, but it seems to me that no harm could come of using one. I have one in my tank. The argument is that it gives a direct path to ground that does not go through your heart... good enough for me for $15. I always get nervous when I put a power cord into a tank (salt water conducts better that fresh anyway.) The GFI and the ground probe is a combo that makes sense to me.

melosu58 said:
I`ve been using one for eight years with no ill effects know.Thanks
You answered your own question.... If it aint broke then don't try and fix it.
I've have them on both of my tanks and no issues..

I don't have one yet, but will soon. Just a few weeks ago, the heater in my QT broke (cracked) -- don't know how, but it did whether my own fault or not. Imagine my surprize when (without seeing the broken heater), I reach in and ZAP! not a good feeling. Until then, I was of the opinion "why waste the $15 bucks?"

Just consider it insurance. No one PLANS to have a broken heater or fail PH cord -- if that's all it took, then we wouldn't be having this thread. Fact is, things DO go wrong, whether it's your doing or not.

Matt

Very interesting... Well I guess it would be a precaution for both myself and my animals. I often have my hands in the tank to do one thing or another and I have been shocked once. I am not so sure of its effectiveness with stray voltage. I have seen my fish jump from time to time for no apparent reason and have always wondered if it has to do with some electrical being that there are a total of 6 devices strapped to my tank.

Even with the broken heater steve s point is still valid. Your hand completed the circuit, not the fish. Voltage does not kill. Current (amp) does.

Back
Top Bottom