Grounding Probe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
All, I have ordered a grounding probe. I thought about placing in my sump as that is where my pumps and stuff are. However, if I have it in my display, then in the unfortunate event that a light goes in it would work as well. That would be the case if I am doing something that would require me to turn off the pumps and I no longer have a water circuit from the sump to the display. Your thoughts on this??

It will work in the sump, since both the sump and tank are sharing the same water (basically sharing the same "circuit").

Thanks for the quick answer. True, but when I do water changes and stuff, the pumps are off and there is not more circuit. That was got me thinking to place it in the display.

I have to say that electricity in the sump will go the DT. When my heater shattered in my sump, All i touched was the plastic trim which probably was a little wet and was electrocuted. It can go and is powerful enough to get through. I measured 116V top, from a 120V circuit.

Hmmm, either leave it in the DT or move it from the sump to the DT when you turn off the pumps.

I have to say that electricity in the sump will go the DT. When my heater shattered in my sump, All i touched was the plastic trim which probably was a little wet and was electrocuted. It can go and is powerful enough to get through. I measured 116V top, from a 120V circuit.

:crazyeyes: Ouch!! Gotta hate when that happens.

Hmmm, either leave it in the DT or move it from the sump to the DT when you turn off the pumps.

Now come on, that is too simple. For the $20 it would cost, I could go with two and be extra safe.

I probably should change my habitss and remove the lights when I am up doing the water changes and stuff.

LOL! True.
I do have to say, it is a little difficult cleaning without the lights. It wouldn't seem do but it is.

Where ever you end up placing it, make sure it's plugged into a GFCI. A grounding probed plugged into a regular circuit is more dangerous than no grounding probe at all.

Back
Top Bottom